How do I solve for two unknowns using two equations?

• Thread starter Bradracer18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the person is having trouble solving a set of equations with two variables. The equations provided do not have equal signs, making them unsolvable. The expert suggests a method for solving two equations in two unknowns and provides an example. The person then attempts to apply this method but struggles with getting an answer. The expert points out an error in the person's calculations and suggests checking the signs.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

I can't remember how to solve these equations like this one. I need to solve for each variable. I'm not sure I've ever known how to do this.

-720 + Tab*cos(36.8699) + Taf*cos(20.556)

660 + Tab*sin(53.1301) + Taf*sin(69.444)

I need to solve for both Tab and Taf. This is possible, right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't even know where to start...need help!
Thanks,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
These are not equations, there are no equal signs. Thus they cannot be solved. But, if they were to have equal signs, sin (53.1301) just represents a number right? If you 53.1301 is in degrees and not radians (very likely) then sin (53.1301)= [tex]0.8[/tex]

To solve two equations in two unkowns, there are a few ways. Perhaps the easiest is to solve for one variable in one of the equations in terms of the other equation and then plug that into the other equation.

So let's say you have two equations in y and x such as:

3x+y=5
y+5x=2

You could solve the second one for y.. y=2-5x right?

now plugging it into the first one you get
3x+2-5x=5

-2x=3
x=-2/3

Now just plug x=-2/3 into the other equation and solve for y. Easy.

Ok so is this right then...

Solving second equation for Tab

Tab = =(-Taf(.936) - 660)/.8

Then insert back into equation 1...

-720 - Taf(.936) - 660 + Taf(.936) = 0

These are all equal to zero, forgot to add that in...and yes, they are degrees.

If that is right, I can't get an answer to come out.

Check your signs. The second equation gives Tab*sin(53.1301) =- Taf*sin(69.444)-660. Plug this into the first and you get {Taf/sin(53.1..)}*[-sin(69.444)-660]*cos(36.8699) + Taf*cos(20.556)=720.

I suspect you are missing a minus sign.

1. What is the "2 equations, 2 unknowns" method used for?

The "2 equations, 2 unknowns" method, also known as the substitution method, is used to solve a system of two equations with two unknown variables. It is commonly used in algebra and is particularly useful in solving word problems involving two unknown quantities.

2. How does the "2 equations, 2 unknowns" method work?

The method involves substituting one variable from one equation into the other equation, which allows us to solve for the remaining variable. This value is then substituted back into the first equation to find the value of the first variable. This process is repeated until both variables have been solved for.

3. Can the "2 equations, 2 unknowns" method be used for any type of equations?

Yes, this method can be used for linear equations, which are equations in the form of y = mx + b. It can also be used for systems of equations that involve quadratic or exponential equations, although it may be more complex and require additional steps.

4. What happens if the equations in the system are not in the same form?

If the equations are not in the same form, they can be rearranged to make them compatible. For example, if one equation is in the form of y = mx + b and the other is in the form of ax + by = c, the first equation can be rewritten as ax + by = d, where d is some constant. This allows for easy substitution and solving of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "2 equations, 2 unknowns" method?

Yes, this method can only be used to solve systems of two equations with two unknown variables. It cannot be applied to systems with more than two equations or unknowns. Additionally, it may not work for equations that do not have a unique solution, such as parallel lines or inconsistent equations.