Convince a classmate that division is not associative.

In summary: For example, if you assume that division is not associative, then you could say that (a/b)/c = a/(b+c), which is not true.
okunyg

Homework Statement

How would you convince a classmate that division is not associative?
By "associative" the book aims at the Associative properties of multiplication and addition.

Is this equation correct?
a/(b/c) = (a/b)/c

Homework Equations

a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c
a(bc) = a(bc)

a/(b/c) = (a/b)/c (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

The parenthesis' are top priority, and the arithmetic in it should be done first.
- This means that a/(b/c) yields a/<new number>.
- This means that (a/b)/c yields <new number>/c.
-- This means a/<new number> does _not_ equal <new number>/c.

Or can it?

I would like to solve it algebraically, but I don't know how. Is it possible to solve it with algebra? I mean, does it take more advanced mathematics or can I simply use basic algebra as a tool for solving this?

This is not homework actually, I'm trying to learn math by myself with the book Algebra and Trigonometry (Wesley 2007).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the associative property claims to hold for all values of a, b, and c. So you could just find one set of values for which it doesn't hold, yes?

Yes, that is correct. But are answers like that accepted? What if I would like to prove it without trial and error (if that's the correct expression)?

Yes, counterexamples are perfectly acceptable.

You could try to prove from the axioms

There exists some a, b, and c such that a/(b/c) != (a/b)/c​

where "!=" means "not equal", sure. Counterexamples are one way to do that.

By the bye, proving things most ways involves a bit of trial and error. :wink:

Its called indirect proof or proof by contradiction, and its a perfectly legitamate form of proof. Assume to the contrary (division is associative) and work until you reach something that can't be true

What is the definition of division?

Division is a mathematical operation where one number is separated into equal parts or groups. It is the inverse of multiplication, and is denoted by the symbol ÷ or /.

Why is division not associative?

Division is not associative because the order in which numbers are divided affects the result. In other words, changing the grouping of numbers in a division problem changes the answer.

Can you provide an example of how division is not associative?

Yes, for example, (8 ÷ 4) ÷ 2 = 2, but 8 ÷ (4 ÷ 2) = 4. The numbers and operation are the same, but the grouping is different and thus the answers are different.

How does the commutative property relate to division not being associative?

The commutative property states that changing the order of numbers in an operation does not change the result. However, this does not apply to division as shown in the example above. The commutative property only applies to addition and multiplication.

Why is it important to understand that division is not associative?

It is important to understand that division is not associative because it can lead to incorrect answers if not taken into account. This is especially important in more complex mathematical problems where the order of operations is crucial in obtaining the correct answer.