Is Charge Conservation Violated in Spherical Volumes with Zero Current Density?

In summary, the conversation discusses the violation of charge conservation and the process of charge relaxation in a conductor. The example provided in the conversation shows that the charge distribution slowly appears on the surface of the conductor with a time constant, and there is a current in the conductor during this process. The example can be found in Chapter 7, Section 7.7, and Example 1 of the book "Classical Electromagnetism" by J. Franklin. However, there may be some discrepancies between the information provided in the book and on the website of MIT. Further clarification and explanation can be found in Sections 7.8 and 7.9 of the website. The conclusion is that there is current density through the conduction material and
walkinginwater
hi, guys:
Charge conservation Violated? It seems to be: The charge density inside a spherical volume changes from [tex]\rho[/tex] at t=0, after period of time [tex]\tau [/tex], the charge density decrease to 0. However, the author claimed that during the processing there is no current density in the material surrounding the initially charged spherical region. Is this possible?

I am now reading a something about Charge Relaxation in a conductor.
You can find the example in the following way:
Click on the weblink:http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html"
Then click chapter 7 on the left column , the whole index of chapter 7 will appear on the right;
After that, you click on the section 7.7;
At last, you go to the example 1. where you see what I want to talk about.

Note: Equation (7.15) can be found in the following weblink http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html" click on Chapter 7 on the left column, and then click on the section 7.1 on the right column

In the example it states that: " one or both of these migrate in the electric field caused by the net charge[in accordance with (7.15)] while exactly neutralizing each other"

Anybody agree with this? Can he/she give some explanation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
walkinginwater said:
However, the author claimed that during the processing there is no current density in the material surrounding the initially charged spherical region. Is this possible?
This is correct. If a charge distribution of llimited size is placed inside a conductor, the shape of the charge distribution remains constant, but decreases in magnitude to zero with a time constant tau. The original charge slowly appears on the surface of the conductor. There is a current in the conductor, but no charge distribution other than the original one occurs.
The equation governing the decay of the charge distribution is
[tex]\partial_t\rho=-\sigma\nabla\cdot{\vec E}
=-(4\pi\sigma/\epsilon)\rho.[/tex].
Solve it. The result is not diffusion of the charge, but its disappearance and then reappearance on the surface of the conductor.
A good discussion of this is in Sec. 6.93 of "Classical Electromagnetism"
by J. Franklin (AW.com).

Last edited:
That's interesting. Does it have any application?

hi, Meir Achuz:
Thank you very much for your reply. But in fact I am confused over what you have said. In the website of MIT, it states that there is no current density in the material, i.e., there is no [tex]\vec J[/tex]. But you said
There is a current in the conductor, but no charge distribution other than the original one occurs.
So it seems that your statement doesn't coincide with what from the MIT Website.
Our library doesn't have the book "Classical Electromagnetism" by J. Franklin (AW.com). Would you be so nice to explain in more detail. Or can you scan section 6.93 and email it to me?
p.s.: I make some modification about my post, now you can find the example I mentioned before!

Last edited:
During the decay of the charge distribution, there is an E in the conductor.
Since j=\sigma E, there is a j. That is the problem with trying to learn physics from the web. even MIT.

Meir Achuz said:
During the decay of the charge distribution, there is an E in the conductor.
Since j=\sigma E, there is a j. That is the problem with trying to learn physics from the web. even MIT.

Thanks for your answer! In fact, I continue to read the following sections from http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html" and I find in Section 7.8 and 7.9, there are more detailed explanation about this question. The conclusion is that:

• There are current density through the conduction material

• The spatial distribution of the charge density don't change and only the magnitude of the Field decay exponentially.
  • The charge will drift to the boundary of the conduction materials

Last edited by a moderator:
This Thread Has been Solved! Thanks for Meir Achuz

This Thread has been Solved! Thanks for the reply of Meir Achuz!

1. What is charge conservation?

Charge conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that charge can neither be created nor destroyed, but only transferred from one object to another.

2. How is charge conservation violated?

Charge conservation can be violated in certain subatomic interactions, such as in the decay of some particles, where the total charge before and after the interaction is not equal. This is due to the fact that at the subatomic level, particles and antiparticles can be created and destroyed, altering the total charge in the system.

3. Why is charge conservation important?

Charge conservation is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and the development of technologies such as electricity and electronics.

4. Are there any exceptions to charge conservation?

While charge conservation is a fundamental principle, there are some theories that propose the existence of particles with fractional charges, which would technically violate the law. However, these theories are still being studied and have not been confirmed by experiments.

5. How is charge conservation related to other conservation laws?

Charge conservation is closely related to other conservation laws, such as energy conservation and momentum conservation. These laws all stem from the fundamental principle of Noether's theorem, which states that for every symmetry in nature, there is a corresponding conservation law. In this case, charge conservation is a result of the symmetry of electric charge in nature.