Energy in 10 m of Cable: Calculating Voltage Storage

In summary: I simply had the wrong formula in my notes.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy stored in a 10 m piece of coaxial cable with specific dimensions and a material placed between the inner and outer wires. The solution involves using Gauss' law to find the charge per unit length on the inner wire, using the capacitance equation to find the total charge, and then using the formula for energy stored in a capacitor to calculate the final answer.
Winzer

Homework Statement

The diagram below depicts a cross section of coaxial conductor with an inner wire of diameter and an outer conducting sheath of inside diameter , and some material placed in the space between the two wires. Suppose that you have a coaxial wire with di= 2.85 mm, do= 6.25 mm and mylar ( k= 3.10) is placed in the space between the two wires. If there is a potential of 1 kV between the wires, how much energy is stored in a 10 m piece of cable?

Homework Equations

[tex] U=\int V dQ[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I perform the intergral and come up with a couple equations this one seem the best:
[tex] U= .5QV[/tex] Right?

Attachments

• InsulatedCoaxialCable.gif
    InsulatedCoaxialCable.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 0.5QV ?

The way I'd do it is to find the charge per unit length on the inner wire... the charge per unit length on the outer conductor is just - the inner charge per unit length...

You can get this using Gauss' law... and the voltage = -integral E.dr

When you find the charge per unit length x... then the total charge is 10*x. The energy stored is 10*x*V.

You need to know the charge right? Or how charge varies with voltage or something?

The coax cable has capacitance per meter. You can look the equations up on wiki. Once you find the total capacitance (multiply by length), use E=(CV^2)/2.

Sterling

learningphysics said:
How did you get 0.5QV ?

The way I'd do it is to find the charge per unit length on the inner wire... the charge per unit length on the outer conductor is just - the inner charge per unit length...

You can get this using Gauss' law... and the voltage = -integral E.dr

When you find the charge per unit length x... then the total charge is 10*x. The energy stored is 10*x*V.

I do not know what I am doing wrong. Here is my work:
q/(кε) = EA, A = 2*pi*rx
E = q/(кεA) = q/(2кε*pi*rx)
V = -integral of Edr from a to b = -(q*ln(b/a))/(2кε*pi*x) = 1000 V
1000(2кε*pi)/ln(b/a) = q/x
(q/x)*10*1000 does not give me the answer. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks. It turns out my work is right, but the formula for energy is .5qV (i.e. C = q/V, so .5CV^2 = .5qV) , not qV.

1. How is voltage storage calculated in 10 m of cable?

Voltage storage in 10 m of cable is calculated by multiplying the length of the cable (in meters) by the cable's resistance (in ohms) and the current flowing through it (in amps). This can be represented by the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

2. What is the purpose of calculating voltage storage in cable?

Calculating voltage storage in cable is important for understanding the efficiency and capabilities of a power transmission system. It helps determine the amount of voltage loss that occurs when electricity is transmitted over a certain distance, and can inform decisions on how to optimize the system for maximum efficiency.

3. How does the length of cable affect voltage storage?

The longer the length of cable, the higher the voltage storage will be. This is because as electricity travels through a cable, it encounters resistance, which leads to a drop in voltage. Therefore, the longer the distance the electricity has to travel, the greater the voltage loss will be.

4. What factors can affect voltage storage in cable?

The main factors that can affect voltage storage in cable are the length of the cable, the material and thickness of the cable, and the amount of current flowing through it. Other factors such as temperature, environmental conditions, and the quality of the cable can also play a role.

5. Is there a maximum length of cable that can be used for efficient voltage storage?

There is no specific maximum length of cable that can be used for efficient voltage storage, as it depends on various factors such as the type of cable, the voltage level, and the desired efficiency. However, for longer distances, it is important to consider using thicker cables with lower resistance to minimize voltage loss.