Gravitational Effects of 2 Bodies

In summary, the point between the Earth and the Moon where the gravitational effects balance each other is located at a distance of x = 3.44 x 10^8 m from the center of the Earth or 3.82 x 10^7 m from the Moon. To find this distance, we can use the equation Fg = (Gm1m2)/(r^2) and set the gravitational forces of the Earth and Moon equal to each other, solving for r.
petern
There is a point b/t the Earth and the Moon where the gravitational effects of the 2 bodies balance each other. How far apart from the center of the Earth is this point? Answer: x = 3.44 x 10^8 m (from the earth) or 3.82 x 10^7 m (from the moon).

I have no clue what to do. I assume you would use either the equation Fg = (Gm1m2)/(r^2) or T^2 = kr^3.

I really don't know what to do next. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
let the distance from Earth to the point = r, and let the distance from the Moon to the point = Earth/Moon distance - r

Since the force of gravitation from the Moon and the Earth will be equal to each other, set the gravitation equations for each equal to each other and solve for r.

petern said:
I have no clue what to do. I assume you would use either the equation Fg = (Gm1m2)/(r^2) ...

Use this one, as said before.

1. What is the gravitational force between two bodies?

The gravitational force between two bodies is the attractive force that exists between any two objects with mass. This force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between two bodies affect their gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two bodies decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force follows the inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance between the bodies increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bodies?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two bodies is F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the mass of the two bodies affect their gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two bodies is directly proportional to the masses of the objects. This means that as the masses of the bodies increase, the force between them also increases. However, the distance between the bodies also plays a significant role in determining the strength of the force.

5. What other factors can affect the gravitational force between two bodies?

In addition to mass and distance, the shape, size, and density of the two bodies can also affect the gravitational force between them. Additionally, the presence of other objects in the vicinity can also influence the gravitational force between two bodies, as their gravitational fields can interact with each other.