Simple loop script in Gnu Plot

• Thread starter Don Carnage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop Plot
If you have something older, you'll need to use a different solution (like my previous one).In summary, to create a simple loop script in Gnu Plot, you can use an external script (such as a Perl or Python script) to generate the necessary gnuplot script and then use the "reread" command to loop through the data files and generate the corresponding gif files. Alternatively, if you have gnuplot version 4.3 or higher, you can use the "plot for" command to create a loop within the gnuplot script itself. Additionally, if you are using an outdated version of gnuplot, you may need to use a different solution.
Don Carnage
Simple loop script in "Gnu Plot"

Ok, I have "n" data files containing coordinates on the form of (x,y) called:

1.dat
2.dat
3.dat
n.dat

What I want is to program a simple script in gnu plot(Linux) which load them and convert
them into *.gif files called:

1.gif
2.gif
n.gif

I have already written a script that can convert ONE data file into ONE gif file, it looks like this:

$ nano plot
Code:
set terminal gif
set output 'koor.gif '
plot 'koor.dat' with lines

It loads the file called koor.dat and convert it into koor.gif - simple :P

SO; How do I make this script loop ?

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Gnuplot can't do what you want. You have to do the looping by hand (the hard way) OR use a scripting language that has the requisite capabilities (the easy way). Write a perl script (or Python script, or whatever) that generates the gnuplot script, and then invoke that gnuplot script.

hmm so what you suggest is that I write a script that generates a plot script looking like:

set terminal gif
set output '1.gif '
plot '1.dat' with lines,

then initiating 'gnuplot plot'.
Thereafter my python script shall rewrite the the plot script into:

set terminal gif
set output '2.gif '
plot '2.dat' with lines

and so on..!?

I guess this is a quite slow process..
Are there libraries in C which are capable of plotting and converting into *.gif
I only know a bit of C programming but it should be sufficient..

please can anyone help me to plot with colors in G N U P L O T
Version 4.0 patchlevel 0, as I found some commands somewhere online, but it does not work, can you plaes show me how to do it, and how to add legends...

So, this is horribly outdated, but if someone else stumbles by here with the same question...here's the answer. You can do this, using a combination of an external script and the reread command.
You should be able to do something similar to the following...

#file gnuscript.gp
iter=0
n=20
load "loadfile.gp"
#end of gnuscript.gp

#file loadfile.gp
iter=iter+1
set output sprintf("file.%d.gif",iter)
splot sprintf("file.%d.dat",iter) w lines
if(iter<=n) reread
#end of loadfile.gp

It is possible to use:

plot for [i=1:10] ...

see the documentation!

mersecske's solution will work (much more elegantly than my previous solution)...

The only caveat is that it requires at least gnuplot version 4.3. If you try mersecske's solution and it doesn't work, check your version.

1. What is a simple loop script in Gnu Plot?

A simple loop script in Gnu Plot is a series of commands written in the Gnu Plot programming language that allows for the repetition of a set of actions. This is useful for creating multiple plots with varying parameters or for creating animations.

2. How do I create a simple loop script in Gnu Plot?

To create a simple loop script in Gnu Plot, you first need to open the Gnu Plot program. Then, use the "do for" command followed by the desired number of iterations and the commands you want to repeat within the loop. Finally, use the "end do" command to close the loop.

3. What are the benefits of using a simple loop script in Gnu Plot?

Using a simple loop script in Gnu Plot can save time and effort when creating multiple plots with similar parameters. It also allows for easy customization and variation of plots, making it a useful tool for data analysis and visualization.

4. Can a simple loop script in Gnu Plot be used for data analysis?

Yes, a simple loop script in Gnu Plot can be used for data analysis. By creating multiple plots with varying parameters, you can compare and analyze the data in a visual and interactive way. This can help identify patterns and trends in the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simple loop script in Gnu Plot?

While a simple loop script in Gnu Plot can be a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for more complex data analysis tasks that require more advanced programming techniques. It also may not be as efficient for large datasets compared to other data analysis tools.