Rod rotating with moment of inertia at angles? HUH?

In summary, we have a slender rod of length l and mass m rotating at a constant angular velocity omega about an axis at an angle alpha to the rod, passing through its center. The torque acting on the rod can be expressed as T = (1/24)ml^2*omega^2*sin(2*alpha) and the equation of motion for the rod once it's released from its constraint is still undetermined. However, we know that the angular momentum of the rod is L = ml^2*omega/12*sin(alpha) and the net torque is \tau = (ml^2*omega^2)/24*sin(2*alpha).
JamesJames
A slender rod of length l and mass m rotates with constant angular verlocity omega about an axis which is at an angle alpha to the rod and pases through its centre. Obtain an expression for the torque acting on the rod and get eth equation of motion of the rod once it is released from its constraint at the centre. T = (1/24)ml^2*omega^2*sin(2*alpha)

Here is what I have: Just replace theta by alpha. I chose the coordinate axes to be the principal axes so the cross terms in the moment of inertia vanish. I get T = (Iyy-Izz)*omega^2*sin(2*alpha) as you can see from the attachment.

Can someone help me to figure out the values of Izz and Iyy? I would really find it vey useful if I could solve this question. Thanks, James.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the axis on the left is x, on the right commin out of the page is y and along the bottle/rod is z. omega is shown at the angle aplha = theta as required.

Mind if I ask what is moment of inertia?
Is it some ratio between the mass and its radius from the center of rotation?

it is m*l^2...but for various orientations it gets a bit tricky..that is where I am stuck..really anything to help me out would be great.

Come on guys something...I have done most of it and am confident of what I have ...I juse need help to finish the computation...anything!

Can anyone help?

Trust me you cannot go wrong with a suggestion

Just a hint maybe?

I'm going to reply to this since I found the problem interesting. Let O be the point where the rod and the rotation axis meet. Chop up the rod into little pieces of length dr of mass dm each. The angular momentum of each little piece is
[tex]\vec{l} = \vec{r} \times dm\vec{v}[/tex]​
where
[tex]\vec{v} = \vec{r} \times \vec{\omega} \rightarrow v = r\omega\sin{\alpha}[/tex]​
and so
[tex]l = rv dm = r^2\omega\sin{\alpha}\cdot{dm}[/tex].​
Taking the integral gives us the total angular momentum of the rod.
[tex]\int_m{r^2\omega\sin{\alpha}\cdot{dm} = \int_{-l/2}^{l/2}{mr^2/l\omega\sin{\alpha}\cdot{dr}}[/tex]​
since [itex]dm = m/l\cdot{dr}[/itex]. Simplifying gives [itex]L = ml^2\omega/12\sin{\alpha}[/itex].

At any given instance, [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] is always changing direction (in fact, L is perpendicular to the rod and rotates about the axis of rotation of the rod) but will always make an angle of [itex]\pi/2 - \alpha[/itex] with the rotation axis. By looking at the rotation from directly above the axis of rotation we see that [itex]dL = L\omega\cos{\alpha}\cdot{dt}[/itex]. The net torque then is
[tex]\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = L\omega\cos{\alpha} = \frac{ml^2\omega^2}{24}\sin{2\alpha}[/tex].​
As for the second part of the question involving the motion of the rod once it's free is still puzzling me. I guess since the center of mass of the rod isn't moving to begin with, the rod won't be going anywhere.

1. What is a rod rotating with moment of inertia at angles?

A rod rotating with moment of inertia at angles refers to a situation where a rod or any other object is rotating around a fixed axis at an angle instead of rotating in a straight line. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a rod rotating at an angle?

The moment of inertia for a rod rotating at an angle can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2sin^2θ, where m is the mass of the rod, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the rod, and θ is the angle of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia for a rod rotating with an angle?

The moment of inertia for a rod rotating at an angle is affected by the mass of the rod, the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass, and the angle of rotation. The shape and distribution of mass of the rod also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a rod at an angle?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of a rod at an angle by determining how much torque is required to rotate the rod. A larger moment of inertia means that more force is needed to rotate the rod, while a smaller moment of inertia requires less force.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed for a rod rotating at an angle?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a rod rotating at an angle can be changed by altering the mass, shape, or distribution of mass of the rod. The distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass can also be changed to affect the moment of inertia.