Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, Google.org is a philanthropy that uses a range of approaches to help advance solutions within five areas: climate change, poverty and emerging disease, education, renewable energy, and public policy. The Google Foundation is a separate 501(c)(3) private foundation that supports the mission and core initiatives of Google.org. As of September 2008, Google.org has committed over $100 million in grants and investments to further its five initiatives.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
In 2004, when Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin wrote to prospective shareholders about their vision for the company, they outlined a commitment to contribute significant resources, including 1% of Google's equity and profits in some form, as well as employee time, to address some of the world's most urgent problems. That commitment became Google.org.

Google.org is a hybrid philanthropy that uses a range of approaches to help advance solutions within our five initiatives. We operate in a traditional manner by supporting our partners’ work with targeted grants. But we can also invest in for-profit endeavors, such as efforts by companies to develop breakthrough renewable energy technologies. Our structure also allows us to lobby for policies that support our philanthropic goals. Additionally, we can tap Google’s innovative technology and, most importantly, its inspired workforce. We’ve already begun to donate and invest Google.org’s funds, and we expect to continue to do so in the future.

Google also established the Google Foundation in 2005, which is a separate 501(c)(3) private foundation. The Google Foundation is managed by Google.org and supports our mission and core initiatives as one of our sources of funds for grant making. As of May 2008, Google.org has committed over $85 million in grants and investments to further our five initiatives.
from http://www.google.org/about.html

Searching for solutions
Google.org aspires to use the power of information and technology to address the global challenges of our age: climate change, poverty and emerging disease. In collaboration with experienced partners working in each of these fields, we will invest our resources and tap the strengths of Google’s employees and global operations to advance five major initiatives.

http://www.google.org/index.html

As of September 2008, Google.org has committed over $100 million in grants and investments to further our five initiatives.

http://www.google.org/projects.html

Other institutions have similar programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Just bought google stock? :biggrin:

I wish I had bought stock early on, but I didn't have the spare cash. I have no stake in Google. I was just bringing this to attention of others who might seen an opportunity for employment or a grant for R&D.

I've submitted a couple of ideas to Google grants program. I'm waiting.

1. Who are Larry Page and Sergey Brin?

Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the co-founders of Google. They are both computer scientists and entrepreneurs who met while studying at Stanford University.

2. When did Larry Page and Sergey Brin create Google?

Larry Page and Sergey Brin created Google in 1998 while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University.

3. What was the original name of Google?

The original name of Google was "Backrub". However, Page and Brin changed the name to "Google", which is a play on the word "googol" - a mathematical term for the number 1 followed by 100 zeros.

4. How did Larry Page and Sergey Brin become billionaires?

When Google went public in 2004, Larry Page and Sergey Brin became billionaires as they owned significant shares in the company. As Google's success continued to grow, their net worth also increased.

5. Are Larry Page and Sergey Brin still involved with Google?

As of 2021, Larry Page and Sergey Brin are no longer actively involved in the day-to-day operations of Google. They stepped down from their positions as CEO and President of Alphabet (Google's parent company) in 2019, but still hold significant shares in the company.