Math classes for a physics major

In summary, a high school senior admitted to Caltech wants to major in physics and study elementary particles, gravitation, and string theory. Caltech requires five terms of math, including calculus, linear algebra, and probability/statistics. The physics department recommends additional courses in applied mathematics and computational mathematics. For theoretical physics, abstract algebra and differential geometry may be useful. It is also recommended to consult with academic advisors for specific recommendations based on chosen physics courses and research fields.
adartsesirhc
Hi, I'm a high school senior that's just been admitted to Caltech. They sent me their course catalog in the mail, and I've been looking over it this week. I want to major in physics, and someday study elementary particles, gravitation, and string theory. What math should I take?

Caltech requires five terms of math: Ma 1abc (Calculus of One and Several Variables and Linear Algebra), and Ma 2ab (Ordinary Differential Equations, Probability, and Statistics). Which other courses should I take? The physics department recommends Ma 5 and Ma 108, as well as ACM 95 and ACM 101. Which of these would have the most applications to physics and what I want to study?

(Everything listed in parentheses is a prerequisite.)

ACM 95 – Introductory Methods of Applied Mathematics
ACM 101 – Methods of Applied Mathematics I
ACM 106 – Introductory Methods of Computational Mathematics (ACM 95)
ACM 142 – Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations (Ma 108, Ma 109)
ACM 201 – Partial Differential Equations (ACM 101)
ACM 210 – Numerical Methods for PDEs (ACM 106)
Ma 5 – Introduction to Abstract Algebra
Ma 91 – Homological Algebra (Ma 5)
Ma 108 – Classical Analysis (Ma 2)
Ma 109 – Introduction to Geometry and Topology
Ma 110 – Analysis I (Ma 108)
Ma 111 – Analysis II (Ma 110)
Ma 120 – Abstract Algebra (Ma 5)
Ma 123 – Classification of Simple Lie Algebras (Ma 5)
Ma 130 – Algebraic Geometry (Ma 120, or Ma 5 plus additional reading)
Ma 131 – Algebraic Geometry of Curves (Ma 5, Ma 108, Ma 109)
Ma 135 – Arithmetic Geometry (Ma 130)
Ma 140 – Functional Analysis (Ma 110)
Ma 145 – Introduction to Unitary Group Representations
Ma 151 – Algebraic and Differential Topology (Ma 108)
Ma 157 – Riemannian Geometry (Ma 151)

These are the classes that interested me the most. I know that geometry and topology are important to physics, but I’m not sure which of these would be most useful – I barely started learning differential geometry this winter break for general relativity.

Any help? Oh, and course descriptions are on Caltech’s course catalog, which is at http://pr.caltech.edu/catalog/

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you'll want differential equations. For theoretical physics abstract algebra (+ lie algebra) has application.

Decide what physics courses you want to take and ask the lecturers what the pre-requisites are, together with book & course recommendations.

By the time you arrive at Caltech (probably even before then), they will probably assign you a faculty member as academic advisor. Someone "on the scene" is best suited to tell you which math courses are useful for their physics courses, or for the research fields that they're in.

You don't have to plan your whole four years before you even get there!

every single one of em on down from acm 142

you're lucky to have so many math classes available to you. avail yourself of them.

1. What math classes are typically required for a physics major?

Most physics majors are required to take calculus I, II, and III, as well as differential equations. Some programs may also require linear algebra and/or multivariable calculus.

2. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for a physics major?

A strong foundation in math is essential for success in a physics major. Many of the concepts and principles in physics are based on mathematical equations, so a solid understanding of math is crucial.

3. Are there any specific math classes that are particularly useful for a physics major?

In addition to the required math classes, advanced courses in mathematical physics, vector calculus, and complex analysis can be particularly beneficial for a physics major. These classes can help students develop a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles used in physics.

4. Can I take math classes outside of my physics major requirements?

Yes, it is often recommended for physics majors to take additional math classes beyond the required courses. This can help students improve their math skills and better prepare them for advanced physics courses.

5. How can I prepare for math classes as a physics major?

To prepare for math classes, it is important to review fundamental concepts and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as tutoring or study groups, to improve understanding and performance in math courses.