Understanding the Chain Rule Proof: Explained with Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the chain rule and its application in finding derivatives. It explains how the chain rule works and provides an example to demonstrate its usage. The conversation also clarifies some confusing notation and identifies a flaw in a supposed proof of the chain rule.
Дьявол
Hello! I got one question for you.

How come that [tex](f \circ g)'(x) = f'(g(x)) g'(x)[/tex] ?

Since [tex](f \circ g)'(x)=f(g(x))'[/tex] , [tex]f'(g(x))=f'(g(x)) g'(x)[/tex]. And now we can rewrite the equation like [tex]1=g'(x)[/tex]

I don't understand that part.

Also I don't understand why the flawed proof of the chain rule is incorrect?

[tex]y'=\lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy}{dx} = \lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy} {du} \cdot\frac {du}{dx}=\lim_{du \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy}{du} \cdot \lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {du}{dx}=f'(u)\cdot u'(x)[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Дьявол said:
Hello!
Hi Dyawol.

Дьявол said:
How come that [tex](f \circ g)'(x) = f'(g(x)) g'(x)[/tex] ?
That's precisely what the chain rule says, I will prove it below for you.

Дьявол said:
Since [tex](f \circ g)'(x)=f(g(x))'[/tex] , [tex]f'(g(x))=f'(g(x)) g'(x)[/tex]. And now we can rewrite the equation like [tex]1=g'(x)[/tex]

I don't understand that part.
I don't really understand either... what are you trying to do here? Your notation is confusing you, the [tex]f'(g(x))[/tex] on the left hand side is not the same as that on the right hand side...

Дьявол said:
Also I don't understand why the flawed proof of the chain rule is incorrect?

[tex]y'=\lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy}{dx} = \lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy} {du} \cdot\frac {du}{dx}=\lim_{du \rightarrow 0}\frac {dy}{du} \cdot \lim_{dx \rightarrow 0}\frac {du}{dx}=f'(u)\cdot u'(x)[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Well actually it gives the correct formula (y' = f'(u) u'(x)) assuming y(x) = f(u(x)), although what is written down is nonsense.
[tex]y' = \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
is correct but I don't see what the limits are doing there, and actually it is just another way of writing f'(u) u'(x); so there is no proof here, you are just stating the chain rule.

Perhaps it is helpful to first consider an example of how the chain rule works. Suppose you have
[tex]f(x) = (3x^2 + 6x - 9)^2[/tex]
and you are asked for f'(x).
Then you note that you don't know how to do this derivative (after going through your familiar list of derivatives of elementary functions, product rule and quotient rule) but that it looks a lot like a quadratic function. If you set [itex]u = u(x) = 3x^2 + 6x - 9[/itex] then you can simply write [itex]f(x) = f(u(x)) = u(x)^2[/itex], which we usually in a slight shorthand / notational abuse write as [itex]f(u(x)) = u^2[/itex] or [itex]f(x) = u^2[/itex] (which is slightly confusing perhaps, because it is not clear that there is still an x involved). Now this we know how to differentiate: the derivative of [itex]u^2[/itex] is just 2 u. So we would write
[tex]\frac{df}{du} = 2u [/tex]
to indicate that if u were the variable we were interested in, the derivative of f would be 2u. But we don't want df/du, we want df/dx. The chain rule tells us, that what we wanted to calculate, df/dx, is given by
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx},[/tex]
i.e. we still have to multiply 2u by the derivative of u with x as the variable. Recalling that u was [tex]3x^2 + 6x - 9[/tex], we can apply our standard repertoire of derivation tricks and get
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 6 x + 6[/tex]

So, putting it all together, the answer we wanted it
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dx} = (2u) \cdot (6x + 6)[/tex]
where we now have to write u back in terms of x:
[tex]f'(x) = (3x^2 + 6x - 9) \cdot (6x + 6)[/tex]
which you could simplify to
[tex]f'(x) = 18(x^2 + 2x - 3)(x + 6).[/tex]

Do you understand now the derivations with respect to x and u, and the notation
[tex]\frac{df}{du} \text{ and } \frac{df}{dx}?[/tex]
Then you have to get used to the "mathematical" shorthand, where we usually write f'(x) if we mean df/du, u'(x) for du/dx; we can make up notations like f'(u) for df/du but I urge you to use the d.../d... notation, because f'(u(x)) is very ambiguous (this is what was confusing you in the first post: does the prime in f'(u(x)) indicate derivation with respect to u or x? That is, do you mean df/dx or df/du here?)

CompuChip said:
f'(u(x)) is very ambiguous (this is what was confusing you in the first post: does the prime in f'(u(x)) indicate derivation with respect to u or x? That is, do you mean df/dx or df/du here?)
I disagree with this. f'(u(x)) can only mean df/du, since the prime is on f. If you differentiate with respect to x, the function you're taking the derivative of isn't f. It's [itex]f\circ u[/itex], so you must write [itex](f\circ u)'(x)[/itex] (or [itex]\frac{d}{dx}f(u(x))[/itex] )

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Hi Dyawol.

That's precisely what the chain rule says, I will prove it below for you.

I don't really understand either... what are you trying to do here? Your notation is confusing you, the [tex]f'(g(x))[/tex] on the left hand side is not the same as that on the right hand side...

Well actually it gives the correct formula (y' = f'(u) u'(x)) assuming y(x) = f(u(x)), although what is written down is nonsense.
[tex]y' = \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
is correct but I don't see what the limits are doing there, and actually it is just another way of writing f'(u) u'(x); so there is no proof here, you are just stating the chain rule.

Perhaps it is helpful to first consider an example of how the chain rule works. Suppose you have
[tex]f(x) = (3x^2 + 6x - 9)^2[/tex]
and you are asked for f'(x).
Then you note that you don't know how to do this derivative (after going through your familiar list of derivatives of elementary functions, product rule and quotient rule) but that it looks a lot like a quadratic function. If you set [itex]u = u(x) = 3x^2 + 6x - 9[/itex] then you can simply write [itex]f(x) = f(u(x)) = u(x)^2[/itex], which we usually in a slight shorthand / notational abuse write as [itex]f(u(x)) = u^2[/itex] or [itex]f(x) = u^2[/itex] (which is slightly confusing perhaps, because it is not clear that there is still an x involved). Now this we know how to differentiate: the derivative of [itex]u^2[/itex] is just 2 u. So we would write
[tex]\frac{df}{du} = 2u [/tex]
to indicate that if u were the variable we were interested in, the derivative of f would be 2u. But we don't want df/du, we want df/dx. The chain rule tells us, that what we wanted to calculate, df/dx, is given by
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx},[/tex]
i.e. we still have to multiply 2u by the derivative of u with x as the variable. Recalling that u was [tex]3x^2 + 6x - 9[/tex], we can apply our standard repertoire of derivation tricks and get
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 6 x + 6[/tex]

So, putting it all together, the answer we wanted it
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dx} = (2u) \cdot (6x + 6)[/tex]
where we now have to write u back in terms of x:
[tex]f'(x) = (3x^2 + 6x - 9) \cdot (6x + 6)[/tex]
which you could simplify to
[tex]f'(x) = 18(x^2 + 2x - 3)(x + 6).[/tex]

Do you understand now the derivations with respect to x and u, and the notation
[tex]\frac{df}{du} \text{ and } \frac{df}{dx}?[/tex]
Then you have to get used to the "mathematical" shorthand, where we usually write f'(x) if we mean df/du, u'(x) for du/dx; we can make up notations like f'(u) for df/du but I urge you to use the d.../d... notation, because f'(u(x)) is very ambiguous (this is what was confusing you in the first post: does the prime in f'(u(x)) indicate derivation with respect to u or x? That is, do you mean df/dx or df/du here?)
Thank you very much for the help CompuChip. It really helped me understand what it mean.

But I didn't understand one thing (the notation one), since f o g (x) = f(g(x))
So (f o g) ' (x) would probably mean f(g(x))'. Am I right?

< where we usually write f'(x) if we mean df/du

I think that you thought about f'(x)=df/dx

Also I think that you missed to multiply by 2, since there is 2u. So it would be [tex]f'(x) = 36(x^2 + 2x - 3)(x + 6)[/tex]

Thanks again for the help.

Regards.

Why do you have x + 6, if anything it should be x + 1 if you are taking the 6 out.

Дьявол said:
But I didn't understand one thing (the notation one), since f o g (x) = f(g(x))
So (f o g) ' (x) would probably mean f(g(x))'. Am I right?
You're right, assuming that what you mean by f(g(x))' is the value at x of the derivative of the function that takes any number y in the domain of g to f(g(y)). But you should never write f(g(x))'. The prime symbol should only appear on a function, and f(g(x)) is not a function. It's a number. The function that you have in mind can be written as [itex]x\mapsto f(g(x))[/itex] or [itex]f\circ g[/itex].

The derivative of that function can be written as [itex](f\circ g)'(x)[/itex] or [itex]\frac{d}{dx}f(g(x))[/itex]. Note that the dx in the denominator tells us that the function we're taking the derivative of is [itex]f\circ g[/itex]. If we had been interested in the derivative of f at the point g(x), we would have written it as [itex]f'(g(x))[/itex] or [itex]\frac{d}{dg}f(g(x))[/itex].

Last edited:
See also #4 and the beginning of #3 in this thread for more about differentials.

I don't see what's the problem here:
f(g(x))'=df/dx=(df/dg)(dg/dx)

The way you prove it is by looking at [f(g(x+h))-f(g(x))/(g(x+h)-g(x))][(g(x+h)-g(x))/h], where h->0.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or the OP, but the issue in this thread isn't just how to prove it, but to understand why you can't prove it just by canceling differentials in the expression

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dx}[/tex]

You can't just cancel differentials because dg may in fact be 0, in which case the above is nonsensical. Thus the use of differentials is only a heuristic, not a proof.

shaggymoods said:
You can't just cancel differentials because dg may in fact be 0, in which case the above is nonsensical. Thus the use of differentials is only a heuristic, not a proof.

[tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow dx}\frac{\delta y}{\delta u}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x}=\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow dx}\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

What is the chain rule proof and why is it important?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because it helps us solve more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

How does the chain rule proof work?

The chain rule proof involves taking the derivative of the outer function, multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function, and then combining them using the chain rule formula.

Can you provide an example of the chain rule proof?

Let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^3. To find the derivative of this function, we first identify the outer function as (x^2 + 3)^3 and the inner function as x^2 + 3. Using the chain rule, we first find the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(x^2 + 3)^2. Then, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x. Finally, we combine them using the chain rule formula, giving us the derivative of f(x) as 6x(x^2 + 3)^2.

Why do we need to understand the chain rule proof?

Understanding the chain rule proof allows us to apply the chain rule to more complex functions and solve them accurately. It also helps us understand the concept behind the chain rule and its importance in calculus.

Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule proof?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function, not properly identifying the outer and inner functions, and making errors in the chain rule formula. It is important to double check your work and practice using the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.