What Factors Limit the Maximum Information Density on a Magnetic Disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of information density on a magnetic disk, the development of different types of ports for faster information exchange, and the conventions for classifying a bit in electronics. The main focus is on the manufacturing process for the read/write head for a hard drive and the challenges of making it smaller to increase information density. There are also questions about the theoretical and practical limits of information density in a single wire and the conventions for representing a bit in electronics.
flatmaster
I was thinking about a colloquim speaker I heard once and I have a few unanswered questions. He was talking about the manufacturing process for the read/write head for a hard drive. Obviously, the goal was to make the part smaller and smaller to increase the possible information density on the disk. My question is...

What is the limiting factor for maximum information density on a magnetic disk? Size of the read/write head, mechanical limitations for moving the arm, or the size of the actual magnetic dipole that encodes the bit on the disk ? Or perhaps something I'm not even thinking of.

Secondly, I wonder about ports. At first, there were serial ports. Then came along parallel ports, allowing faster information exchange. However, the newest ports (USB/Firewire) have returned to serial communication. Was there a singular burst in the information that could be carried by a single wire that allowed this to occur?

Thirdly, I recall from my electronics class that there were several conventions that existed for classifying a bit. For example, 5V was a 1, while 0V was a 0. What is the current convention. I assume it is a minimum voltage to minimize power use, but large enough to consistently carry the bit.

Finally, what would be the theoretical and practical limit of information density in a single wire. Would assuming an ideal conductor change this limit?

I hope my random musings at least make sense. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. The minimal area the read/write head can polarize is equal to the width of the magnetic dipole. However, to write to the disc with a smaller gap size requires the head to be closer to the disk's surface. The difficulty is in making sure the head doesn't "crash" on the disc, i.e. stays above the surface. From a glance at Wikipedia, it looks like modern hard drives can let heads fly as close as 3 nm above the disc's surface.

2. Don't know.

3. I think the most common assignment is 0 to 0.8 V for 0, and 2 to 5 V for 1. The reason for the gap is to isolate the ranges so that there's no risk of one signal being interpreted for the other because of noise.

I am happy to answer your questions and provide some insight into these interesting topics. Regarding the limiting factor for maximum information density on a magnetic disk, it is a combination of factors including the size of the read/write head, mechanical limitations for moving the arm, and the size of the actual magnetic dipole that encodes the bit on the disk. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the material used in the disk also play a role in determining the maximum information density.

The shift from parallel ports to serial ports was driven by the need for faster data transfer rates and the development of more efficient communication protocols. While parallel ports could transfer multiple bits simultaneously, they were limited in their speed due to interference and synchronization issues. Serial ports, on the other hand, use a single wire to transfer data in a sequential manner, allowing for higher data transfer rates. The development of more advanced serial communication protocols, such as USB and Firewire, has further increased data transfer speeds.

The current convention for classifying a bit is based on voltage levels, with a high voltage representing a 1 and a low voltage representing a 0. However, the specific voltages used can vary depending on the device and communication protocol being used. For example, in digital logic circuits, a high voltage could be anywhere from 2.5V to 5V, while in USB communication, a high voltage is typically around 3.3V.

The theoretical and practical limit of information density in a single wire is a complex topic and is heavily dependent on the specific technology and communication protocol being used. In an ideal conductor, there would be no limit to the amount of information that could be transmitted, but in reality, factors such as interference, noise, and signal degradation can impact the maximum achievable data transfer rate. Research and development in the field of communication technology are constantly pushing the limits of information density and seeking to improve data transfer rates.

Your questions are certainly thought-provoking and show a curiosity about the inner workings of technology. I encourage you to continue exploring these topics and stay curious about the ever-evolving world of hardware and communication technology.

1. What is a random hardware question?

A random hardware question is a question related to hardware components, systems, or devices that does not follow a specific pattern or theme.

2. How can I troubleshoot a random hardware issue?

To troubleshoot a random hardware issue, you can try restarting the device, updating drivers, checking for loose connections, running diagnostic tests, or consulting with a professional technician.

3. What is the difference between hardware and software?

Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer or electronic device, while software refers to the programs and instructions that control and operate the hardware.

4. How often should I upgrade my hardware?

The frequency of hardware upgrades depends on individual needs and preferences. Generally, it is recommended to upgrade every 3-5 years to keep up with technological advancements and ensure optimal performance.

5. What is the best way to protect my hardware from damage?

To protect your hardware from damage, you can invest in a surge protector to prevent electrical surges, regularly clean and dust your devices, and handle them with care when moving or transporting them.