Setting Up a Monitor Screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of setting up a screen with favorite links for easy access to various programs such as a dictionary, calculator, and units converter. The potential for better communication and understanding on Physics Forums is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to the suggestion of creating a custom homepage in HTML and using tabs in browsers to access multiple websites. The issue of network signal and computer responsiveness is also addressed. The conversation ends with recommendations for using WordWeb as a dictionary and seeking help with LaTeX on the #latex channel.
RonL
Gold Member
Recently going through threads on PF, the idea came to me, about how to set up a screen that has all the favorite links that with just a click of the mouse I can pull up a program for doing all the things needed, like check for meaning or spelling of a word, a units converter, using LaTEX (I'm at the very start and need help).

The idea would be to have the PF window almost cover the view, then other screens in the background would have small portions visible and when brought to the front will not cover too much of the PF panel.
At the bottom a dictionary, the top would be LaTEX, top left a calculator, and top right a units converter, Hyperphysics and a few others (too many and I forget where they are).

I thought some of our PF people might have methods or ideas, even links to share, that would help anyone be better able to communicate and understand when reading post that have many different levels of knowledge and experience.

Any feed back will be great.:smile:

Ron

Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you just want to make a custom homepage in HTML.

- Warren

chroot said:
It sounds to me like you just want to make a custom homepage in HTML.

- Warren

I'm one of those people, that is so happy the screen came up, that I don't do much messing around.
Your not talking to much of a computer nerd here.:biggrin:

P.S. I did find the link to MathIM, just starting to find my way there, the impression I get is that I can copy and paste from there to a post in PF, is that correct?

Last edited:
Something like http://filehippo.com/download_yahoo_widget/" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Equate said:
Something like http://filehippo.com/download_yahoo_widget/" ?

There are some things there I'll look at later, but right now I have 6 Internet explorer screens open and I can see a little of each one around my PF screen, as I read a post, and see something I don't understand or a unit I need to convert, by clicking on the visiable portion of that screen it pops out, ready for use.

This may sound inmature by current computer standards, but I feel that I'm a member of a majority group of people that are not getting best use of their PC's.

A question in my mind, does this in any way affect the signal of my wireless, which is already quite weak ?

A second question, is there a way to save all these screens so when I shut down and later log on they will all open like I have them now?

RonL said:
A second question, is there a way to save all these screens so when I shut down and later log on they will all open like I have them now?

I believe you are an ideal candidate for http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/tour/tabs/. (All modern browsers support it, but I linked you the tutorial for IE.) You can have multiple different sites open, each in a different tab. You can also specify a group of tabs as your "homepage." When you launch your browser, each website will be opened automatically in a different tab.

RonL said:
A question in my mind, does this in any way affect the signal of my wireless, which is already quite weak ?

Generally, no network activity occurs until you click on something on a page. Some pages communicate periodically with a sever, even without user input, but that kind of traffic is usually quite small, and should not affect your network throughput much.

Your computer as a whole may be a little less responsive when it's running six independent browsers, though.

- Warren

chroot said:
I believe you are an ideal candidate for http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/tour/tabs/. (All modern browsers support it, but I linked you the tutorial for IE.) You can have multiple different sites open, each in a different tab. You can also specify a group of tabs as your "homepage." When you launch your browser, each website will be opened automatically in a different tab.

Generally, no network activity occurs until you click on something on a page. Some pages communicate periodically with a sever, even without user input, but that kind of traffic is usually quite small, and should not affect your network throughput much.

Your computer as a whole may be a little less responsive when it's running six independent browsers, though.

- Warren

BINGO! That looks like it will do what I want.

Now is there a link to a page that takes a complete novice through the first steps of using LaTEX ?

RonL said:
Now is there a link to a page that takes a complete novice through the first steps of using LaTEX ?

Not really, but I'd suggest just clicking on some LaTeX images here, the simpler the better. You'll get a pop-up window that shows you the code used to generate the image.

This announcement thread has a lot of examples.

- Warren

chroot said:
Not really, but I'd suggest just clicking on some LaTeX images here, the simpler the better. You'll get a pop-up window that shows you the code used to generate the image.

This announcement thread has a lot of examples.

- Warren

Thanks, with a little effort maybe I can develop some infraction insurance.:biggrin:

Check out the free program called WordWeb. It's a dictionary that integrates into the OS so that you can press a key combination while hovering over any word and a dictionary definition pops up. The word can be anywhere..on a web page, window title, word document, whatever. And it doesn't have to check the internet for the definition so it's fast.

As for Latex help, I recommend you idle in #latex on freenode.

junglebeast said:
Check out the free program called WordWeb. It's a dictionary that integrates into the OS so that you can press a key combination while hovering over any word and a dictionary definition pops up. The word can be anywhere..on a web page, window title, word document, whatever. And it doesn't have to check the internet for the definition so it's fast.

As for Latex help, I recommend you idle in #latex on freenode.

Thanks, the WordWeb will take care of me for a while, it is better than what I was trying to do. I'll look into the LaTeX tip.

Anyone else, if you have something you like, please pass it on. Any tip might be just the thing someone else is looking for.:smile:

Ron

What is PF: Links, LaTEX & More?

PF: Links, LaTEX & More is a program that allows users to create and manage links between their PF accounts and LaTEX files.

Why would I need to set up a monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More?

Setting up a monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More allows users to easily view and manage their links between PF and LaTEX without having to switch between multiple screens or programs.

How do I set up a monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More?

To set up a monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More, users will need to first download and install the program. Once installed, they can then open the program and follow the prompts to set up their monitor screen.

Can I customize my monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More?

Yes, users can customize their monitor screen for PF: Links, LaTEX & More by adjusting the settings within the program. This allows users to personalize their screen to their specific preferences and needs.

Is there a cost for using PF: Links, LaTEX & More?

No, PF: Links, LaTEX & More is a free program for users to download and use. There are no hidden fees or charges associated with using this program.