Determining the Best Wavelength for Darwin's Space Mission

In summary, the proposed space mission Darwin aims to detect thermal radiation from Earth-like planets. In order to estimate the best wavelength for observations, Wien's law and the absolute temperature in Kelvin must be used. The temperature of the Earth-like planet should be converted to Kelvin by adding 273, as absolute temperature cannot be negative.
wyse
here's the question:

'Darwin is a proposed space mission to detect thermal radiation from Earth-like
planets.
Estimate the best wavelength for carrying out observations with Darwin.'

i'm guessing we need to use wien's law(from an earlier part of the question), and so we need the absolute temp in kelvin to calculate the wavelength. but the problem is i thought T=-273, so putting this into wien's law gives a negative wavlength.

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi wyse! Welcome to PF! :smile:

T is the temperature of the Earth-like planet, ie the temperature Celsius plus 273 :wink:

wyse said:
we need the absolute temp in kelvin to calculate the wavelength. but the problem is i thought T=-273,

Since when can an absolute temperature be negative? :smile:

thanks for the replies, i don't know where i got the negative from.

cheers!

1. What is the purpose of determining the best wavelength for Darwin's Space Mission?

The purpose of determining the best wavelength for Darwin's Space Mission is to ensure that the mission's instruments and detectors are optimized for detecting and studying the chemical makeup of exoplanets. This information can provide valuable insights into the potential habitability of these planets.

2. How do scientists determine the best wavelength for the mission?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and observations to determine the best wavelength for Darwin's Space Mission. They consider factors such as the composition of the planet's atmosphere, the sensitivity of the mission's instruments, and the background noise of the universe.

3. What impact does the choice of wavelength have on the success of the mission?

The choice of wavelength has a significant impact on the success of the mission as it directly affects the ability to detect and analyze the chemical signatures of exoplanets. Choosing the wrong wavelength could result in missed or inaccurate data, while choosing the optimal wavelength can greatly enhance the mission's scientific discoveries.

4. Are there any challenges in determining the best wavelength for the mission?

Yes, there are several challenges in determining the best wavelength for Darwin's Space Mission. One of the main challenges is the limited understanding of the chemical compositions of exoplanets and their atmospheres. Additionally, there are technical challenges in designing instruments that can accurately detect and analyze the chemical signatures at the chosen wavelength.

5. Will the chosen wavelength be the same for all exoplanets studied during the mission?

No, the chosen wavelength may vary for different exoplanets depending on their unique compositions and atmospheric conditions. Scientists may need to adjust the wavelength for each exoplanet to optimize the data collected and ensure the success of the mission.