Can You Modify an Ethernet Cable?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the connectors are meant to be crimped once and only once. You can buy the connectors and a crimping tool at Radio Shack.
cragar
cand you take the end off of an ethernet cable
and put on another cable , it seems like once their crimped on yer done .

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct, the connectors are meant to be crimped once and only once. Good thing they're very cheap.

- Warren

thank-you

cragar said:
cand you take the end off of an ethernet cable
and put on another cable , it seems like once their crimped on yer done .

You can buy the connectors and a crimping tool at Radio Shack.

sweet thanks , can i get buy with just using pliers.

the contacts just have blades that dig through the insulation. it would be difficult to pull them up and reuse the connector, but i think I've actually done that once. if you've got some skill with redneck engineering, and a lot of dexterity, you might can pull it off. but your best bet if it's only 25ft or so is to just purchase a new cable with the ends already connected. if you get the cheapo radio shack plastic tool, be gentle with it.

k well i already have a 50 feet of cord with no ends , a two like 5 foot cords with ends .

wow thanks you have been very helpful , this is red neck but can i strip off each little wire of the 8 wires and then twist them together then duck tape them individuals to splice one on with an end .

You can also try most computer store for the crimper (bonus: the pricing is usually online, allowing you to better compare pricing). They're also sold at places like Office Depot or Staples (but they'll probably be the most expensive).

Also, do you have any really computer-inclined friends? Chances are that one might have one. And putting "YOURNAME really, really would like to borrow an RJ-45 crimper" on Facebook or Myspace occasionally turns up good results, depending on who's in your circle of friends (and how favourably-inclined they are to you).

instead of the crimper can i used pliers

cragar said:
wow thanks you have been very helpful , this is red neck but can i strip off each little wire of the 8 wires and then twist them together then duck tape them individuals to splice one on with an end .

Using telephone splices (available at Radioshack, or any hardware store with an electrical / telecom section) would be better (contact-wise, and just in terms of robustness). However, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have a lot of signal attenuation and reduced speeds (especially since you'll probably be untwisting the pairs for a fair bit mid-connection).

You're that much better off just buying / borrowing the crimp tool (I'm not sure if the hardware store ones would be cheaper than the other ones mentioned above). Or just buying the pre-made cables, as others have suggested. I bought the tool, but that's because I was making 30 cables.

cragar said:

can you? you've got to find a way to push the contacts into the indentions without breaking the plastic housing.

cragar said:

Probably not too well. You may be able to use a knife to punch down the blades one at a time, but chances are that one or more of the individual wires will pop-out / not be properly terminated / connected by the time you're done.

i see , well i'll prolly get the tool because i don't want to drill that big of hole through the floor big enough for the end to go thorugh i already have the cable under the house
i just need to put ends on it ,

If this is just for home use (you don't need gigabit or Cat5E certified) you only need to connect 2 pairs, just use pins 1+2 and 3+6 (counting from the left looking into the plug) You can join the wires using a regular 3Amp choc-block.

If you are running cables in the house and you don't have room for a lot of wire you can also run 2 connections down a single cable - use 1+2/3+6 for one socket and 4+5,7+8 for the other. Again doesn't work for gigabit.

1. Can you modify an Ethernet cable for a different connection type?

Yes, you can modify an Ethernet cable for a different connection type. Ethernet cables can be modified by changing the connectors on the ends to fit a different connection type, such as USB or HDMI. However, it is important to note that this modification may not work for all devices and could potentially cause damage if not done correctly.

2. Is it possible to extend the length of an Ethernet cable?

Yes, it is possible to extend the length of an Ethernet cable. This can be done by using a coupler or a switch to connect two cables together, or by using a longer cable. However, it is important to note that the longer the cable, the more potential for signal loss and interference, which can affect the overall performance of the network.

3. Can I use an Ethernet cable for both internet and phone connections?

Yes, you can use an Ethernet cable for both internet and phone connections. This is known as a "structured cabling" system and allows for a single cable to carry both types of signals. However, this requires additional equipment and proper setup to ensure both connections are functioning correctly.

4. Can an Ethernet cable be used to transfer data between two computers?

Yes, an Ethernet cable can be used to transfer data between two computers. This is known as a peer-to-peer connection and can be achieved by connecting the two computers directly with an Ethernet cable or by using a network switch. This allows for a fast and secure way to transfer data between devices.

5. How do I know if my Ethernet cable is faulty?

There are a few ways to determine if an Ethernet cable is faulty. You can check for physical damage or fraying on the cable, test the connection with a known working cable, or use a cable tester to check for any connectivity issues. If none of these methods reveal any issues, then the problem may lie elsewhere in the network setup.