Electron Phonon Interaction Potential

In summary, the electron-lattice interaction potential is given by a summation over lattice sites, with the lattice site displacement and coulombic interaction as the terms. According to Mahan's book, the potential has a Fourier transform which includes a summation over all possible 'q' vectors, representing the born van Karman vectors. However, this forced periodicity is only in the system size and does not accurately reflect the non-periodic nature of V_{ei}(r).
vidur
The electron-lattice interaction potential is given by

[tex] V(r)=\sum_{i} Q_{i}\nabla V_{ei} \left( r- R_i\right)[/tex]

where i is a summation over lattice sites, [tex]Q_i [/tex] is the lattice site displacement, and [tex]V_{ei}[/tex] is the coulombic interaction

Now According to Mahan's book Many particle physics, 2nd ed. pg 34 ,[tex]V_{ei}(r)[/tex] has a Fourier transform of the form

[tex]V_{ei}(r)=1/N \sum_{q}V_{ei}(q) e^{jqr}[/tex]

I've had a hard time digesting this since this is a Fourier summation of a periodic signal, and [tex]V_{ei}(r)[/tex] is not periodic, only a summation over all lattice sites is. Can anyone help me in pointing out what's wrong with my understanding

Physics news on Phys.org
vidur said:
The electron-lattice interaction potential is given by

[tex] V(r)=\sum_{i} Q_{i}\nabla V_{ei} \left( r- R_i\right)[/tex]

where i is a summation over lattice sites, [tex]Q_i [/tex] is the lattice site displacement, and [tex]V_{ei}[/tex] is the coulombic interaction

Now According to Mahan's book Many particle physics, 2nd ed. pg 34 ,[tex]V_{ei}(r)[/tex] has a Fourier transform of the form

[tex]V_{ei}(r)=1/N \sum_{q}V_{ei}(q) e^{jqr}[/tex]

I've had a hard time digesting this since this is a Fourier summation of a periodic signal, and [tex]V_{ei}(r)[/tex] is not periodic, only a summation over all lattice sites is. Can anyone help me in pointing out what's wrong with my understanding

those 'q' are not reciprocal lattice vectors, then. they are the born van karman vectors that you can think of as being very densely spaced. I.e. we have forced V_{ei}(r) to be periodic but it is only periodic in the SYSTEM SIZE. which is not much of a constraint. get it?

?

The electron-phonon interaction potential is a fundamental concept in solid state physics, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials. As you correctly stated, the potential is given by a sum over all lattice sites, where each term represents the interaction between the electron and the displacement of the lattice at that site. This potential is usually written as a function of the distance between the electron and the lattice site, r.

However, in order to fully understand the electron-phonon interaction, we need to consider the potential in momentum space as well. This is where the Fourier transform comes in. The Fourier transform allows us to express a function in terms of its frequency components, which in this case are represented by the wave vectors q. This is important because the electron-phonon interaction potential is not only a function of distance, but also of momentum.

In other words, the potential is not just dependent on the displacement of the lattice, but also on the momentum of the electron. This is why the summation over all lattice sites is not enough to fully describe the potential. The Fourier transform takes into account the periodicity of the lattice, and allows us to express the potential in terms of its frequency components.

So, to answer your question, there is nothing wrong with your understanding. The Fourier transform is necessary in order to fully describe the electron-phonon interaction potential, as it takes into account both the distance and momentum dependence of the potential. I would suggest further reading and studying of this concept in order to fully grasp its implications in solid state physics.

1. What is electron-phonon interaction potential?

Electron-phonon interaction potential is a concept in solid-state physics that describes the interactions between electrons and lattice vibrations (phonons) in a crystal. These interactions play a crucial role in determining the electronic and thermal properties of materials.

2. How does electron-phonon interaction affect the conductivity of a material?

Electron-phonon interaction can affect the conductivity of a material by scattering electrons, making it more difficult for them to move through the crystal lattice. This can lead to an increase in resistivity and a decrease in conductivity.

3. What is the importance of electron-phonon interaction in superconductors?

Electron-phonon interaction is crucial in understanding the mechanism of superconductivity. In conventional superconductors, it is responsible for the formation of Cooper pairs, which are responsible for the zero resistance and perfect conductivity of these materials.

4. Can the strength of the electron-phonon interaction be controlled?

The strength of the electron-phonon interaction is determined by the properties of the material, such as its crystal structure and electron density. While it cannot be directly controlled, it can be indirectly influenced through external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How does electron-phonon interaction contribute to the thermal properties of materials?

Electron-phonon interactions play a significant role in determining the thermal conductivity of materials. As electrons scatter off phonons, they transfer heat energy and contribute to the overall thermal transport in the material. This interaction is also responsible for the temperature dependence of thermal conductivity in many materials.