60hz AC device in a 50hz country

• Thread starter tman25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Device
In summary, frequency differences can affect the speed of a motor, with a universal motor running 17% slower on a lower frequency. However, if a device is listed as using a universal motor and running on AC/60Hz, it may still work properly. The main issue may arise in 50 Hz countries where the device is built for 110 volts and could run too fast or not work at all. For devices using series wound DC motors on AC, the speed control may not work on the wrong frequency due to inbuilt capacitors. Power transformers may also run hotter on a lower frequency due to less reactance.
tman25
I've heard that frequency differences can cause the motor to rotate 17% slower than it normally would... UNLESS it is a universal motor.

The device in question is listed as running on a universal motor, but is also listed as AC / 60hz only.

Does this still apply?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main problem might be that most 50 Hz countries also use 230 -250 Volts. So, if the 60 Hz tool is built for 110 volts, it could run VERY fast and then not work at all.

Devices that use series wound DC motors on AC will work at 50 Hz or 60 Hz although some electric drills use a speed control that only works on AC. This depends on inbuilt capacitors that mean it may not work properly on the wrong frequency.

Devices that use power transformers may run hot on a lower frequency because the transformer will have less reactance at the lower frequency.

Hi tman-
A universal motor's impedance is partially resistance and partially inductance. For a fixed RMS voltage, a universal motor will run faster on 50 Hz than 60 Hz.
Bob S

What is the difference between 60hz and 50hz?

The frequency of an alternating current (AC) system is the number of complete cycles per second. 60hz means that the current is alternating 60 times per second, while 50hz means it is alternating 50 times per second. This means that the 60hz system has a higher frequency and therefore cycles through the current more quickly than a 50hz system.

Can I use a 60hz AC device in a 50hz country?

In most cases, yes. Most modern electronic devices are designed to work with a range of frequencies, typically from 50hz to 60hz. However, it is always best to check the device's manual or specifications to ensure compatibility.

What happens if I use a 60hz device in a 50hz country?

If the device is not designed to handle a range of frequencies, it may not function properly or may even be damaged. The lower frequency can cause the device to run slower or overheat, which could lead to malfunctions or safety hazards.

Can I convert the frequency of my electricity to use a 60hz device in a 50hz country?

Yes, there are devices called frequency converters that can convert the frequency of electricity. However, these can be expensive and may not be necessary for most electronic devices, as they are often designed to work with a range of frequencies.

Are there any safety concerns with using a 60hz device in a 50hz country?

As long as the device is designed to handle a range of frequencies, there should not be any safety concerns. However, it is always best to check the device's manual or specifications to ensure compatibility and safety.