Any good CFD tutorials for stardesign and star CCM out there?

In summary, if you want to learn about CFD, you should read a book about it and then do some tutorials on a software program.
aerojunkie
Im really trying to learn CFD since embry riddle does not have a good course for undergrads to learn some basics about viscous flow..Im really trying to learn CFD since aerodynamics in general interests me alot. Does anyone have good resources to learn some CFD software ( namely star design , star CCM since my school uses it)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a Unix system you can use the OPEN FOAM cfd program. It is open source software available here

http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/

Thers isn't a version for Windows yet.

Before you jump into a software program, you should get familiar with what CFD is from a mathematical standpoint. That is how I got started. The book I used is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070016852/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Unfortunately, I never had any luck finding good tutorials for programs like Star CD or FLUENT.

Thanks
Matt

Hello thanks for the response. As far as knowing what they are from a mathematical view. To my knowledge they are the Navier Stokes equations which is just a general version of the Momentum and energy equations , including heat and shear effects to the flow.

I don't really know how to get to involved with the mathematics side of them, Is there a topic I should study in depth for viscid flow?

Also would anyone else know where to get Star CCM / Star Design tutorials/help. I did the tutorials included but they are short and unhelpful.

The Navier Stokes are the three "laws" of physics, conservation of mass, momentum (in all directions) and energy. This gives 5 coupled, partial differential equations.

They are very important to know inside and out before starting CFD because you will NEVER get the correct answer in CFD. you need a solid understanding before attempting to resolve any solutions.

Having said that, the distances associated with viscous flow are order(s) of magnitude smaller than the mean flow. So, getting good viscous results are kind of a pain in the ***. In fact, more often than not, we find ourselves solving the Euler equations rather than the full N-S which do not have viscous effects.

Eithre way, before diving into any software-specific tutorials, get a good background. Check out a little write-up I have for some decent background specifically on the derivation of the NS equations.
http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/~mheminge/CFD_Notes.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is CFD?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics, which is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to analyze and solve problems related to fluid flow and heat transfer.

2. What is StarDesign and Star CCM?

StarDesign and Star CCM are commercial software programs developed by Siemens PLM Software specifically for CFD simulations. They are widely used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and energy.

3. Are there any good CFD tutorials for StarDesign and Star CCM available?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for StarDesign and Star CCM. Some of the most popular ones include the official Siemens PLM Software website, YouTube tutorials, and forums dedicated to CFD and Star CCM.

4. What level of experience is required to use StarDesign and Star CCM?

Both StarDesign and Star CCM have user-friendly interfaces and are designed to be used by individuals with varying levels of experience. However, a basic understanding of CFD principles and software is recommended for optimal use of these programs.

5. Can I use StarDesign and Star CCM for my specific application?

StarDesign and Star CCM are versatile software programs that can be used for a wide range of applications, including automotive aerodynamics, HVAC systems, and turbomachinery. However, it is always recommended to consult with experts and conduct proper research to ensure that these programs are suitable for your specific application.