A block of mass m1 = 2.40kg is connected to a second block of mass m2 = 1.80kg

• Thread starter krystek01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Mass
In summary, the masses move with a speed of 2.05 m/s just before they hit the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction is mu k = 0.350 and the distance of travel is d = .813 cm.
krystek01
A block of mass m1 = 2.40kg is connected to a second block of mass m2 = 1.80kg...

A block of mass m1 = 2.40kg is connected to a second block of mass m2 = 1.80kg, as shown in the figure. The two masses start from rest and are moving with a speed of 2.05 m/s just before m2 hits the floor.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/krystek01/5416308036.jpg

a. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is mu k = 0.350, what is the distance of travel, d, for the masses?

b. How much conservative work was done on this system?

c. How much non conservative work was done on this system?

Please help I just can't get this problem right. If someone could walk me through it and show me step by step how to do it, I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so here it goes:

U initial = m1gh + m2gd
K initial = 0
E initial = Ui +Ki = m1gh + m2gd

U final = m1gh + 0
K final = .5m1V^2 + .5m2V^2
E final = m1gh + .5m1V^2 + .5m2V^2

Wnc = -coeff. of friction x m1 x g x d
Wnc = E final - E initial

I tried to solve it for d, and what i got is not the solution.
I just tried the energy conservation that Ef = Ei of the system, and solve it for d, again wrong. There is really no other force that you can apply since its about conservative and nonconservative energy. And to calculate those you need d.

First of all you have to find the acceleration of the blocks.
Draw the free body diagram for m1 and m2. If t is the tension in the string, then
T - mu*m1*g = m1*a...(1)
m2*g -T = m2*a...(2)
Solve these two equations and find a.
Final velocity of m2 is given. Accelerations is known. Using kinematic equation find d.

What is the total mass of the two blocks?

The total mass of the two blocks is 4.20kg (2.40kg + 1.80kg).

What is the force acting on the system?

The force acting on the system depends on the external forces applied. If there are no external forces, the force acting on the system would be the weight of the two blocks due to gravity, which is equal to the mass of the system multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2).

What is the acceleration of the system?

The acceleration of the system can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, the acceleration of the system would be the net force acting on the system divided by the total mass of the two blocks.

If the two blocks are on a frictionless surface, what is the tension in the string connecting them?

If there is no friction, the tension in the string would be equal to the force acting on the system, which is the weight of the two blocks due to gravity. This would be calculated by multiplying the total mass of the system by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2).

If the two blocks are on a surface with friction, what is the coefficient of friction between the two blocks?

The coefficient of friction between the two blocks can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two blocks. The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the top block (m2) due to gravity. Therefore, the coefficient of friction would be equal to the force of friction divided by the weight of the top block (m2) due to gravity.