Solving Diffusion Equation with Boundary Conditions

In summary, the problem is to obtain the solution of the diffusion equation with boundary conditions of u(t,0)=u1, u(t,l)=u2, and u(0,x)=u1+(u2-u1)x/l+a.sin(n\pix/l) in the semi-plane x > 0, with additional condition of u(t,0)=u0+a.sin(\omegat). The subjects that may be useful in solving this problem can be found in Riley's "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" and Zill's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics".
tirwit

Homework Statement

Obtain the solution of the diffusion equation, u(t,x)

a) satisfying the boundary conditions:
u(t,0)=u1, u(t,l)=u2, u(0,x)=u1+(u2-u1)x/l+a.sin(n[tex]\pi[/tex]x/l);

b) in the semi-plane x > 0, with u(t,0)=u0+a.sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t).

Homework Equations

Wish I knew...

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done none because I don't know where to start. I just want to ask what should I study to solve this problem. I have Riley's "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" and Zill's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics". If you have and can point me out the chapters, I would be much appreciated, or you can just tell me the subjects, that I'll try and look for them in the books.

Physics news on Phys.org
tirwit said:

Homework Statement

Obtain the solution of the diffusion equation, u(t,x)

It is good form to give the diffusion equation in case anyone that might help you doesn't remember it exactly and doesn't have their PDE book handy.

a) satisfying the boundary conditions:
u(t,0)=u1, u(t,l)=u2, u(0,x)=u1+(u2-u1)x/l+a.sin(n[tex]\pi[/tex]x/l);

That last equation looks strange. What is n? There is usually no "n" in the BC. Are you sure you have stated the original problem correctly?

1. What is the diffusion equation and what does it represent?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical representation of the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is a second-order partial differential equation that describes how the concentration of a substance changes over time and space.

2. How is the diffusion equation solved?

The diffusion equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier transform, or finite difference methods. The specific method used depends on the nature of the problem and the boundary conditions.

3. What are boundary conditions in the context of the diffusion equation?

Boundary conditions are constraints or information given about the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the system. These conditions determine the values or derivatives of the solution at the boundaries, and are necessary for solving the diffusion equation.

4. Can the diffusion equation be solved for any type of boundary conditions?

Yes, the diffusion equation can be solved for a variety of boundary conditions, such as fixed value, zero flux, or mixed boundary conditions. However, the choice of boundary conditions may affect the complexity of the solution and the method used for solving the equation.

5. What are some applications of solving the diffusion equation with boundary conditions?

The diffusion equation with boundary conditions has many applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used to model diffusion processes in materials, transport phenomena in fluids, and chemical reactions in biological systems, among others.