Generating orbital files with TURBOMOLE

In summary, the conversation is about generating basis set files for the program TURBOMOLE. The format for the basis set files is discussed, with the number and type of primitive gaussians, as well as the contraction coefficients, being specified. The user is trying to generate molecular orbitals from dummy atoms, but is unable to do so without any nuclear charges present. They are attempting to create an electron(s) that is free from any atomic nuclei, but still has a bound state, for analytical purposes. However, without a potential, there are no bound, stationary states and the time-dependent result would simply be to disperse. It is unlikely that their method of creating a hydrogen atom far away from the dummy atoms without a basis set
Morberticus
Hi,

This question might be a little too specific, but does anyone know how (or where I might find literature) to generate basis set files used by the program TURBOMOLE. I am attempting to fit simple gaussian orbitals to dummy atoms but no luck so far.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No problem. (Although I'm not sure if you want to read them or write them?) The format looks like this (example is the 6-31G basis for carbon)

Code:
$basis
c   6-31G
    6  s
   3047.5249000              0.0018347        
    457.3695100              0.0140373        
    103.9486900              0.0688426        
     29.2101550              0.2321844        
      9.2866630              0.4679413        
      3.1639270              0.3623120        
    3  s
      7.8682724             -0.1193324        
      1.8812885             -0.1608542        
      0.5442493              1.1434564        
    1  s
      0.1687144              1.0000000        
    3  p
      7.8682724              0.0689991        
      1.8812885              0.3164240        
      0.5442493              0.7443083        
    1  p
      0.1687144              1.0000000        
$end

So the syntax here is:
Code:
$basis
<element> <basis set name>
 <# primitive gaussians> <shell type>
 data
 data
<element> <basis set name>
 data
$end

And so forth.

So you say how many primitive Gaussians ([tex]de^{-\alpha r^2}[/tex]) your radial function has, and s/p/d/f (and so on) to specify the angle-dependent part. And each line after has the exponent ([tex]\alpha[/tex]) followed by the contraction coefficient ([tex]d[/tex]).
Note that these are unnormalized values. Otherwise it's fairly straightforward.

Many thanks for the help. I have written a simple basis file and turbomole has accepted it.

One last question: I have generated a couple of dummy points using turbomole's define program, and assigned them simple gaussians. It seems to be going ok, until I try and generate molecular orbitals from these dummy atoms. Normally I would do an eht calculation in turbomole's 'occupation number & molecular orbital definition' define menu, but it (rightly) tells me I have no electrons in my 'molecule' and refuses to give me a mos file. I have tried manually inserting electrons using the 'man' option, but am still unable to get molecular orbitals. Is my 'molecule' too unphysical for turbomole? Is there a step I'm missing? I notice the same thing happens when I remove nuclear charge from normal atoms like H2.

Thanks again for the help.

Well, are you saying you're trying to do a calculation without any nuclear charges anywhere? That won't work; it shouldn't even converge!

What's your goal here?

My goal is essentially to create an electron(s) that are free from any atomic nuclei, but still have a bound state (kind of like a particle in a box). It is unphysical, but I am really only interested in the type of molecular orbitals it generates (No geometry optimisation or anything like that), as it might save me some analytical legwork.

I have generated a hydrogen atom thousands of angstroms away from my dummy atoms, and not given it a basis set, in the hope that this will force the charge onto my dummy atoms. It is horribly contrived but it might work.

Morberticus said:
My goal is essentially to create an electron(s) that are free from any atomic nuclei, but still have a bound state (kind of like a particle in a box). It is unphysical, but I am really only interested in the type of molecular orbitals it generates (No geometry optimisation or anything like that), as it might save me some analytical legwork.

There aren't any molecular orbitals. Those are bound states. Without any potential you have no bound, stationary, states, meaning no solutions to the time-independent Schrödinger equation. (And the time-dependent result would simply be to disperse)

I have generated a hydrogen atom thousands of angstroms away from my dummy atoms, and not given it a basis set, in the hope that this will force the charge onto my dummy atoms. It is horribly contrived but it might work.

I doubt it. The software simply wasn't meant to handle this kind of situation, and it's not always easy to get it to converge for real scenarios.

1. How do I generate orbital files with TURBOMOLE?

To generate orbital files with TURBOMOLE, you will need to use the program's graphical user interface (GUI) called "Turbomole Control". Within this GUI, you can specify the type of calculation you want to perform and the molecular system you are working with. Once you have entered all the necessary information, you can run the calculation and TURBOMOLE will generate the orbital files for you.

2. What information do I need to provide in order to generate orbital files with TURBOMOLE?

When using TURBOMOLE's "Turbomole Control" GUI to generate orbital files, you will need to provide information such as the molecular structure, basis set, and the type of calculation you want to perform (e.g. energy calculation, geometry optimization, etc.). You may also need to specify other parameters depending on your specific research needs.

3. How accurate are the orbital files generated by TURBOMOLE?

TURBOMOLE is a highly accurate quantum chemistry program and the orbital files generated by it are considered to be of high quality. However, the accuracy of the results may also depend on the level of theory and basis set chosen for the calculation. It is recommended to carefully select these parameters to ensure the desired level of accuracy for your research.

4. Can I visualize the orbital files generated by TURBOMOLE?

Yes, you can visualize the orbital files generated by TURBOMOLE using various software programs such as GaussView, Avogadro, or VMD. These visualization tools allow you to view and analyze the orbitals in 3D, making it easier to interpret the results of your calculation.

5. Is it possible to generate orbital files for large molecular systems with TURBOMOLE?

Yes, TURBOMOLE is capable of handling large molecular systems and can generate orbital files for them. However, the size and complexity of the system may affect the computational time and resources required for the calculation. It is recommended to consult with your advisor or use a high-performance computing cluster for large-scale calculations.