Find mass of small block resting on the sloping side of a triangular block.

• Thread starter angelcase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Mass
In summary, the conversation discussed determining the force P needed to keep a small block of mass m stationary on a sloping triangular block of mass M on a frictionless surface, using the results from a previous analysis. The value of P was found to be 2.34 N and then used to determine the weight (w) of the block, which was found to be 11.7 N.
angelcase
A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side (45°) of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table..
Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the force P that must be applied to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn’t move on the incline).

Go to Example 1 to see the analysis of this system. Use the results of that analysis, together with your value for P (the units are N), to determine the weight (w) of the block, in N. (You need to know that the weight of M is 1.00 N.) Enter your value for w in the answer box below.

Using the animation activity I found P (push force applied) to be equal to 2.34. In trying to determine w I am a little confused. W=mg, but I am not sure if this equation applies. In the example the following equation was derived: P=(M+m)g tan(theta)

With the information given plugged in I got: 2.34=(1+m)g tan(45)...I wasn't sure if for g they want -9.8, since gravity is acting on all object.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I did 2.34=(1+m)(-9.8) tan(45). Then I solved for m and got -1.17. Finally, I plugged this into the equation w=mg and got 11.7 N.

1. How do I determine the mass of a small block resting on the sloping side of a triangular block?

The mass of a small block can be determined by using the formula: mass = density x volume. First, find the density of the material that the small block is made of. Then, measure the volume of the small block by multiplying its length, width, and height. Finally, multiply the density by the volume to calculate the mass of the small block.

2. Can I use the same formula to find the mass of any small block?

Yes, the formula for mass (mass = density x volume) can be used to find the mass of any small block, as long as you know the density and volume of the block.

3. What if I don't know the density of the material?

If you do not know the density of the material, you can use a scale to measure the mass of the small block directly. Place the small block on the scale and record the measurement. This will give you the mass of the block in grams.

4. What if the small block is not made of a uniform material?

If the small block is made of different materials, you will need to find the density of each material and calculate the mass for each part separately. Then, add all the masses together to get the total mass of the small block.

5. How does the triangular block affect the mass of the small block?

The triangular block does not directly affect the mass of the small block. However, it may change the angle at which the small block is resting, which can affect the weight and thus the measurement of the mass. To get an accurate measurement, ensure that the small block is resting at a horizontal angle on the triangular block.