Which Introductory Physics Course Sequence Should I Take?

In summary: I went to Cornell, and I took the same sequence as you did. I did switch to the non-honors version of the second semester course, but I would recommend that you do the honors version if you can. It definitely makes the material a lot more interesting.
eay444
I'm going to be a freshman next year in college and the school I'm going to offers two sequences for possible physics majors. The "highly recommended" sequence is a modern introduction made up of three courses which introduces physics by incorporating relativity from the beginning. The other sequence is simply a calculus based introduction which introduces relativistic mechanics at the end of the second course and throughout the third course. I've taken phyisics in high school but the math didn't involve calculus and the course wasn't quite at the level that say an AP physics course would be taught. I have taken first semester calculus but I still would feel more comfortable taking the sequence that doesn't incorporate relativity right from the get go. But every handbook or physics major path description that I look at recommends the other course. I guess what I really want to know is what other people here have taken for their introductory physics courses and what you recommend I take. Also if I were to take the less recommended sequence would I be at a severe disadvantage when I start taking higher level physics courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which school is that? I've never heard of such a thing, but then again I'm just entering my freshmen year.

It's the University of Wisconsin Madison

Cornell University does something similar as well.

For prospective physics majors, it's highly recommended to take the honors sequences of mechanics (includes relativity). However, the course content in the beginning is extremely similar so that you can "correct" and switch out from the honors into the easier version without falling behind. You can also start off in the non-honors and switch up into the honors version if you find the regular course way too easy. Grades from homework and labs (and even the first test, if I recall correctly) transfer easily. The department wants to make sure you end up in the correct course, so they don't penalize you.

I'm in the exact same situation (no AP Physics in high school, but decent Calculus background) and I'm nervous about the honors course, but I think it's better to try. If you need to switch down to the regular version, then at least you can say you tried the honors. Also, I know it's common here for people to take the non-honors mechanics and then switch up into the honors version of second semester physics.

Obviously, you should check if your university has a similar switching policy, but I would imagine they would. Most places are reasonable with course adjustments within the first few weeks of the semester.

Oh, my bad when you said relativity I had a brain fart, I thought about general relativity! jeez, silly me, special relativity should be doable, I would recommend you to take the honours sequence as well. If it's too had you can always drop. Always try to aim higher. Well that's my 2 cents.

eay444 said:
It's the University of Wisconsin Madison

Really, this is something that you should ask your academic advisor. Or, if they used to do it when I went to UW-Madison eons ago, you should ask the "generic" advisor. If you don't think this is satisfactory, go to the Dept's office and ask to speak to an undergraduate advisor who would know more about the nature of these courses/sequence. This person will get to talk to you about your background, etc., and with his/her knowledge of what these courses entails, can make a more informed recommendation to you.

When you get there, wave at the 2nd floor of Siegel Hall where I used to hang around!

Zz.

eay444 said:
But every handbook or physics major path description that I look at recommends the other course.

Are you referring to handbooks etc. that you found at UW-Madison? It may simply be the case that the "relativity-first" version of the intro physics course is relatively (:wink:) new and not all the advising materials have been updated yet..

I chose the "highly recommended" one. It turned out to be pretty nice - the class is smaller, your classmates are probably going to be your classmates for the next four years (like it or not...). And those topics indeed "spice up" the course, IMHO

1. Should I take the calculus-based or algebra-based introductory physics course?

It depends on your prior knowledge and comfort level with math. If you have a strong foundation in calculus, the calculus-based course may be more beneficial as it will provide a deeper understanding of physics concepts. If you are not as comfortable with calculus, the algebra-based course may be a better fit as it will focus more on conceptual understanding.

2. Will taking the algebra-based course hinder my future studies in physics?

No, the algebra-based course covers the fundamental concepts of physics and will provide a solid foundation for future studies. However, if you plan on pursuing a career in physics, it is recommended to take the calculus-based course.

3. How much math is involved in the calculus-based course?

The calculus-based course will require a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry. It will also introduce concepts from calculus such as derivatives and integrals. However, the course will focus more on applying these mathematical concepts to solve physics problems rather than pure mathematical calculations.

4. Which course is more challenging?

The difficulty of each course can vary depending on the individual's strengths and weaknesses. Generally, the calculus-based course may be more challenging due to the use of calculus concepts. However, with proper studying and practice, both courses can be successfully completed.

5. Can I switch from one course sequence to another?

It is possible to switch from one course sequence to another, but it is important to consult with an academic advisor before doing so. Depending on the timing and your prior knowledge, it may be more beneficial to stick with the course you initially enrolled in. However, if you feel that the other course sequence may be a better fit for you, it is worth discussing with your advisor to make the best decision for your academic goals.