What Mineral is in My Wife's Pebble Water Fountain?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a desktop pebble water fountain that has been abandoned for a long time and upon cleaning it, the water has evaporated and revealed small crystals that are likely dissolved minerals from the pebbles and water. The origin of these crystals is debated, with one person suggesting they are just etched pebbles and the other suggesting they are from impurities in tap water. It is also suggested that these crystals may be sulfates, specifically calcium sulfate.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I finally got around to cleaning out my wife's desktop pebble water fountain. It has been abandoned for a long time and the water has evaporated. I thought the reservoir was filled wih little bits of straw, but upon closer examination, see that they are all little crystals. The water obviously spend a lot of time trickling over the pebbles, and sitting in its reservoir of slate, so I imagine it's dissolved some minerals from there.

They're ~5mm long and .5 wide and of nearly uniform cross section end-to-end - few imperfections. I can't quite tell the angle of the faces, which is an important clue, right? They are opaque creamy white / very pale yellow. They don't look shiny, they look as if they'd feel like straw to the touch.

What mineral do you suppose these crystals are?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

As the first option, we may consider this material as a "crushed" pebble. So pebble is a calcium carbonate mineral (if I am not wrong); and water can remove some from it, revealing shiny crystals behind.

To sum up, I don't think it is different than the material used for manufacturing; it is plain pebble in my opinion, just etched by water a bit.

Unless I misunderstand, it seems that you're suggesting these aren't crystals that grew in place, that they're left over from a dissolved pebble?

No, these are quite distinct crystals that have grown, physically separated from any pebbles, in the bottom of the water reservoir. The pebbles are not in the reservoir, they are on top, only water is (or rather, was) in the reservoir.

Whatever mineral they are has been grown from impurities that were in the water. Clearly, this mineral is most likely dissolved off the pebbles that the water had been running over all this time, before it evaporated. However, alternately, it could have been something in our tapwater.

Well, as a second option, we may think of this crystals' origin as the tap water just like you suggested. Tap water contains many minerals, and if their amount is sufficient, evaporation may cause some of the less dissolving materials behind as imperfect, somewhat "dirty" crystalline solids. They are probably sulfates, maybe calcium sulfate, which has less solubility in tap water than nitrates, chlorides, and so on.

Regards,
chem_tr

1. What minerals are typically found in pebble water fountains?

Pebble water fountains typically contain minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium. These minerals are commonly found in tap water and can also be naturally present in the rocks or pebbles used to create the fountain.

2. Can the minerals in my wife's pebble water fountain be harmful to our health?

In most cases, the minerals found in pebble water fountains are not harmful to human health. However, if your wife has a specific health condition or is on a restricted diet, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming the water from the fountain.

3. How can I test the mineral content of my wife's pebble water fountain?

You can purchase a water testing kit from a hardware store or online retailer. These kits typically come with instructions on how to test the mineral content of your water. Alternatively, you can also send a sample of the water to a laboratory for more accurate results.

4. Is it necessary to add additional minerals to my wife's pebble water fountain?

In most cases, the minerals present in tap water and the rocks or pebbles used in the fountain are enough to create a healthy mineral balance. However, if you notice a lack of minerals or want to enhance the taste of the water, you can add mineral drops or tablets specifically designed for drinking water.

5. How often should I clean and refill my wife's pebble water fountain?

It is recommended to clean and refill the fountain at least once a week to prevent the growth of bacteria and algae. However, the frequency may vary depending on the size of the fountain and the amount of use it gets. It is also important to regularly clean the pump and filter to maintain the quality of the water.