Understanding Noether Current and Its Internal Symmetry in Lagrangian Dynamics

In summary, The Lagrangian L=i \psi^\star \dot{\psi} - \frac{1}{2m} \nabla \psi^\star \nabla \psi has an internal symmetry \psi \rightarrow e^{i \alpha} \psi, and we omit the infinitesimal parameter \alpha in the Noether current to avoid it appearing in the equation. The Noether current is given by j^\mu = \left( \psi^\star \psi , \frac{i}{2m} ( \psi^star \nabla \psi - \psi \nabla \psi^star ) \right), and the formula for the Noether current is j^\mu = \frac
latentcorpse
Given the Lagrangian

[itex]L=i \psi^\star \dot{\psi} - \frac{1}{2m} \nabla \psi^\star \nabla \psi[/itex]
which has an internal symmetry [itex]\psi \rightarrow e^{i \alpha} \psi[/itex] so [itex]\delta \psi = i \psi[/itex] (am I correct in saying that we omit the infinitesimal paramater [itex]\alpha[/itex] here because we don't want it appearing in the Noether current?)

Anyway I want to show the Noether current is given by
[itex]j^\mu = \left( \psi^\star \psi , \frac{i}{2m} ( \psi^star \nabla \psi - \psi \nabla \psi^star ) \right)[/itex]

so my formula for the noether current is

[itex]j^\mu = \frac{\partial L}{\partial ( \partial_\mu \psi)} \delta \psi - F^\mu[/itex] where [itex] F^\mu satisfies [itex]\delta L = \partial_\mu F^\mu[/itex]

now if i set [itex]\mu =0[/itex] and work through i get [itex]j^0=- \psi^star \psi[/itex] does anyone know how to get rid of this minus sign?

and if i work on the [itex]\mu=i[/itex] components i get it to work out using the formula for [itex]j=i[/itex] \bove added to the formula for [itex]j=i[/itex] where I replace [itex]\psi[/itex] with [itex]\psi^\star[/itex]

so my only real problems are
a) how to get rid of the minus sign in the 0th component
b)why do we get rid of the infinitesimal parameter when writing out [itex]\delta \psi[/itex] - is it so it doesn't appear in [itex]j^\mu[/itex] and if so, why do we not want it in j^\mu[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

1. What is Noether's theorem and why is it important in Lagrangian dynamics?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental result in physics that connects symmetries in a physical system to conservation laws. In Lagrangian dynamics, it relates the symmetry of a system to a conserved quantity known as the Noether current. This theorem is important because it allows us to understand the underlying symmetries of a system and how they affect its behavior and dynamics.

2. What is the internal symmetry in Lagrangian dynamics?

The internal symmetry in Lagrangian dynamics refers to the symmetries that exist within a system, such as rotational symmetry or gauge symmetry. These symmetries are related to the Noether currents and can help us understand the conservation laws in the system.

3. How is Noether's theorem used to derive the equations of motion in Lagrangian dynamics?

Noether's theorem allows us to derive the equations of motion in Lagrangian dynamics by considering the symmetries of the system. By applying the theorem, we can determine the conserved quantities and use them to derive the equations of motion.

4. Can Noether's theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Noether's theorem can be applied to any physical system that has a Lagrangian, which is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of the system. However, the theorem may not always be straightforward to apply and may require some simplifications or assumptions.

5. What are some practical applications of Noether's theorem in physics?

Noether's theorem has many practical applications in physics, particularly in understanding the conservation laws of physical systems. It has been used in various fields, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum field theory. It has also been applied in the study of symmetries in particle physics and cosmology.