Calculate electromagnetic momentum given a solenoid and point charge

In summary, the problem asks to find the linear and angular momentum of a point charge outside an infinite solenoid. The linear momentum density is found by taking the cross product of the position vector and the electric field, while the angular momentum density is zero since the charge is outside the solenoid. The electric field is defined as the charge divided by the distance squared, and since the charge is outside the solenoid, the magnetic field is zero in that region. The problem also states that the solenoid is a nonconductor, so there is no need to consider induced charges on its surface.
Bhumble

Homework Statement

A point charge q is a distance a > R from the axis of an infinite solenoid (radius R, n turns per unit length, current I). Find the linear momentum and the angular momentum in the fields. (Put q on the x axis, with the solenoid along z; treat the solenoid as a nonconductor, so that you don’t need to worry about the induced charges on its surface).
[Answer: [tex] \vec{p_{em}} = \frac{\mu_0 q n I R^2}{2a} and \vec{L_{em}} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{\rho_{em}} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E}\times\vec{B} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that I'm suppose to get the linear momentum density and then integrate over surface area to get the momentum.
And for linear momentum density I just take r X (E x B) then integrate over the surface area.
I have [tex] B(s>R) = 0 and B(s<R) = \mu_0 n I \hat{z}[/tex]
The problem I'm having is setting up the electric field.
I know that it is [tex] \vec{E} = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]

r^2 = (x-a)^2 + y^2 + z^2 and since there is translational invariance along [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] I just dropped it altogether. But for [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] I'm unsure how to define it so that I can get a cross product. I was thinking that it should be equal to [tex] r cos \theta + r sin \theta [/tex] then take A X B = ABcos[tex]\theta[/tex] but since cross product is not distributive I'm just unsure.
I'm very confused about how to approach the geometry of the situation and this is not the first time this has been an issue for me. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say that the charge is at a position a > R from the axis of the solenoid, so it is outside the solenoid where the magnetic field is zero. Won't your cross products involving B be zero magnitude too?

For the portion outside the solenoid they will but there is still an electric and magnetic field inside the solenoid. But the electric field is still present inside the solenoid since the problem states it is a non-conductor.

Ah. So the charge is expressing its field inside the solenoid where there is a B field. Got it.

First, let's define the coordinate system for this problem. We can choose the z-axis to be along the axis of the solenoid, the x-axis to be along the line connecting the point charge to the solenoid (as given in the problem), and the y-axis to be perpendicular to both the x and z axes.

Next, we can find the electric field at any point in space using Coulomb's law. Since the solenoid is treated as a non-conductor, we don't need to worry about induced charges on its surface. The electric field at a point (x,y,z) due to the point charge q is given by:

\vec{E} = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}

where r is the distance from the point charge to the point (x,y,z) and \hat{r} is the unit vector pointing from the point charge to the point (x,y,z).

To find the linear momentum density, we need to calculate the cross product \vec{\rho_{em}} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E}\times\vec{B}. Since the electric field is only in the x-direction (due to the translational invariance along the z-axis), we can simplify this to:

\vec{\rho_{em}} = \epsilon_0 E_x B_z \hat{y}

where E_x is the x-component of the electric field and B_z is the z-component of the magnetic field. We can then integrate this over the surface area of the solenoid to find the total linear momentum:

\vec{p_{em}} = \int \vec{\rho_{em}} dA = \int \epsilon_0 E_x B_z \hat{y} dA

To find the angular momentum, we need to calculate the cross product \vec{L_{em}} = \vec{r}\times\vec{p_{em}}. Since the linear momentum is in the y-direction and the position vector is in the x-direction, the cross product will be in the z-direction. However, since the solenoid is infinite, the angular momentum will be zero, since the position vector will always be parallel to the linear momentum vector.

\vec{L_{em}} = \vec{r}\times\vec{p_{em}} = (x\hat{x}+y

1. What is electromagnetic momentum?

Electromagnetic momentum is the momentum carried by electromagnetic waves, also known as photons. It is a measure of the energy and momentum of an electromagnetic field.

2. How is electromagnetic momentum calculated?

Electromagnetic momentum can be calculated using the formula p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound into a helix shape. It is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. Solenoids are commonly used in electromagnets and electric motors.

4. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in which all the charge is concentrated at a single point in space. It is used in calculations to simplify the analysis of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How do you calculate electromagnetic momentum given a solenoid and point charge?

To calculate the electromagnetic momentum in this scenario, you would need to know the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid, the velocity of the point charge, and the direction of the magnetic field. Using these values, you can use the formula p = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.