Understanding Doping & Depletion Zone Formation

In summary, the conversation was about the formation of depletion zones and doping in silicone. The person asking the question was confused and wanted more information on how the atoms behave when doped with a substance with 3 valence electrons. The person providing the answer mentioned that there are textbooks written on the subject and recommended visual aids and Wikipedia articles for understanding the topic. No further questions or responses were given.
Bassalisk
Can someone explain to me in detail formation of depletion zone and doping. I thought i understood this but it confused me when it came to this depletion zone.

If u dope silicone with a substance with 3 valence electrons this forms a hole right? How does atom then behave? Does it polarize it self or?

THanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is going to be a really long answer. People have literally written textbooks on the subject.

If you want help visualizing what the depletion layer looks like with different doping and applied biases I think this animation is pretty neat. (you can make negative voltages too)
http://cleanroom.byu.edu/pn_animation.phtml [Broken]

If you just want some basic theory backed up by a little math the wikipedia articles are pretty good and I would recommend starting there.

Last edited by a moderator:
es1 said:
This is going to be a really long answer. People have literally written textbooks on the subject.

If you want help visualizing what the depletion layer looks like with different doping and applied biases I think this animation is pretty neat. (you can make negative voltages too)
http://cleanroom.byu.edu/pn_animation.phtml [Broken]

If you just want some basic theory backed up by a little math the wikipedia articles are pretty good and I would recommend starting there.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is doping and how does it affect semiconductor materials?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor material in order to alter its electrical properties. This is done by introducing atoms of a different element into the crystal lattice of the semiconductor. It affects the material by changing its conductivity, allowing it to conduct electricity more or less easily, depending on the type of doping.

2. What is the difference between n-type and p-type doping?

N-type doping involves adding impurities with extra electrons, such as phosphorus or arsenic, to the semiconductor material. This results in an excess of negatively charged particles, or electrons, which increases the material's conductivity. P-type doping, on the other hand, involves adding impurities with fewer electrons, such as boron or aluminum. This creates an excess of positively charged particles, or holes, which decreases the material's conductivity.

3. How are doping and depletion zone formation related?

Doping plays a crucial role in the formation of depletion zones within a semiconductor material. When a p-n junction is formed by joining a p-type and an n-type material, the free electrons from the n-type material diffuse into the p-type material, and the holes from the p-type material diffuse into the n-type material. This creates a depletion zone, which is an area with no free carriers, and is essential for the functioning of many electronic devices.

4. What factors affect the size of the depletion zone?

The size of the depletion zone is influenced by the type and concentration of dopants, as well as the voltage applied across the p-n junction. Higher concentrations of dopants result in a larger depletion zone, while higher voltage decreases the size of the depletion zone. Additionally, the properties of the semiconductor material, such as its bandgap and temperature, can also affect the size of the depletion zone.

5. How does the depletion zone affect the behavior of a diode?

The depletion zone plays a crucial role in the functioning of a diode. When a forward bias voltage is applied to the diode, the depletion zone decreases in size, allowing current to flow through the p-n junction. However, when a reverse bias voltage is applied, the depletion zone increases in size, preventing current from flowing through the junction. This property of the depletion zone enables diodes to act as one-way valves for electrical current, which is essential for many applications in electronics.