Good Books to Understand the Concepts of Physics

In summary, the individual is enjoying learning physics and is receiving a thorough mathematical education, but is struggling with understanding the physical meaning behind the formulas and numerical results. They are looking for additional resources that provide a detailed conceptual treatment of physics to supplement their textbooks. Suggestions include "Thinking Physics" by David Epstein and Feynman's lectures, which are more conceptual rather than quantitative.
Ceenaya19
I am really enjoying learning physics, and I am getting a thorough mathematical treatment of everything, but sometimes I find myself lacking an understanding of what many of the formulas and numerical results mean physically. My goal is to have a deep MATHEMATICAL understanding of how things work as well as a deep CONCEPTUAL understanding. Popular science books are somewhat helpful with this, but they are not as detailed as I would like them to be. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any books that give a detailed conceptual treatment of physics that I could use alongside my textbooks for my classes. Or, even better, can someone describe some of the strategies that they used to better understand the physics behind the math. Thanks a lot for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
someone more qualified than I needs to answer this excellent question, but one lovely little book that is all about elementary concepts of physics in action for the layperson, is "thinking physics" by david epstein. actually maybe feynman's lectures fill the bill to some extent at a higher level. i think of them as more conceptual than quantitative.

What are some good books to understand the concepts of physics?

There are many good books that cover the concepts of physics. Some popular options include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

Are there any books specifically for beginners to understand physics?

Yes, there are several books that are written specifically for beginners to understand physics. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

Do these books cover all branches of physics?

It depends on the book. Some books may cover a broad range of topics, while others may focus on specific branches of physics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, or quantum physics. It's important to research and choose a book that aligns with your specific interests and needs.

Can these books be used for self-study?

Yes, many of these books are designed for self-study and include practice problems and exercises to help reinforce the concepts. However, it's always beneficial to supplement self-study with additional resources such as online lectures or tutoring.

Are these books suitable for all levels of understanding?

Some of these books may be more suitable for beginners, while others may be more geared towards intermediate or advanced learners. It's important to carefully review the book's level of difficulty and choose one that matches your current understanding of physics.