Simple Unit Conversion Question

Fahrenheit in the denominator by using degree Rankine instead.- Alex confirms that 1/F and R can cancel one to one.- Warren provides an example of a unitless equation and asks if his thinking is correct.- Alex explains that to cancel the units, all temperatures should be converted to the same scale, and suggests converting from Fahrenheit to Rankine by adding 459.67.In summary, it is possible to cancel units with degree Fahrenheit in the denominator by using degree Rankine, but all temperatures should be converted to the same scale first. To convert from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Rankine, add 459.67.
sandbanana
If I have units with degree Fahrenheit in the denominator can I cancel it with degree Rankine without a problem? Or do I need to use F + 459.xx to clear it?

does 1/F cancel with R?

I believe 1/F and R can cancel one to one, right?

[tex]\frac{\frac{Btu}{hr*ft^2*F}*\frac{ft^2}{}}{\frac{lbm}{hr}*\frac{Btu}{lbm*R}}[/tex]

The above is unitless following my thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fahrenheit scale and the Rankine scale use the same-sized degree, but they have a different starting point. You should convert all the temperatures to the same scale before cancelling them. If you do not, you'll end up getting an answer with the right unit but wrong numerical value. To convert from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Rankine, add 459.67.

- Warren

1. How do I convert units?

To convert units, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. Multiply the value in the original unit by the conversion factor to get the value in the desired unit. For example, to convert 2 meters to feet, you would multiply 2 by 3.281 to get 6.562 feet.

2. What is the most common unit conversion?

The most common unit conversion is between the metric system and the imperial system. This includes conversions between units such as meters and feet, kilograms and pounds, and liters and gallons.

3. How do I convert units in scientific notation?

To convert units in scientific notation, you need to first convert the numbers to standard notation. Then, you can use the same method as converting regular numbers. After you have the converted value, you can convert it back to scientific notation if desired.

4. Can I use an online converter for unit conversions?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can help with unit conversions. However, it is important to double check the results and ensure that the correct units were used for conversion.

5. What are some tips for unit conversions?

Some tips for unit conversions include: always double check the units and conversion factor, make sure to use the correct units in the final answer, and try to understand the relationship between the units to make conversions easier.