Is there any job for a person who loves pure mathematics?

In summary, a person who studies pure mathematics can find no better jobs than those of a professor, and there are no jobs for someone that insists on continuing to work exclusively in the realm of pure math. However, if you aim to be a professor with a fall back position of being a school teacher, you may have more success.
AdrianZ
Well, I'm 19, I love pure mathematics and I'm determined to follow my heart in my life. but recently this idea has been in my head that there is no job for a pure mathematician except teaching math. I love teaching math to other people but don't want it to be my future career. Do you think that a person who studies pure mathematics can find any better jobs? and Will I have better job opportunities if I switch to theoretical physics or something else that is closely related to mathematics? (like CS)

Physics news on Phys.org
No. If you insist on "pure" mathematics you will be looking at professor positions, all of which will involve teaching at some point in your career.

fss said:
No. If you insist on "pure" mathematics you will be looking at professor positions, all of which will involve teaching at some point in your career.

I'm not sure if you're saying there are no jobs (aside from being a professor) for someone that has studied pure math, of if you're saying that there are no jobs for someone that insists on continuing to work exclusively in the realm of pure math.

I don't think I would agree with either statement, regardless. Since I'm not speaking from personal experience, I'll simply link to MathOverflow. Populated as it is with easily recognizable mathematicians, I'm willing to place my (not so easily given) faith in their responses.

Here is one good discussion: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/36326/how-to-transition-from-pure-math-phd-to-nonacademic-career

And here is another: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/36224/what-jobs-are-there-in-pure-math-besides-being-a-professor/36244#36244

Edit: Twofish usually chimes in on these threads as well, though if you simply search for some of his posts you'll find some useful, relevant information (even though I think he has a Physics background).

Last edited by a moderator:
DarrenM said:
...or if you're saying that there are no jobs for someone that insists on continuing to work exclusively in the realm of pure math.

This is what I was saying. Depending on your definition of "pure math" it is absolutely true.

fss said:
This is what I was saying. Depending on your definition of "pure math" it is absolutely true.

Ok, that is fair. I concede that point, but it really does depend on how one defines "pure math" as you said.

or you could first make it big and rich quickly, retire, and then do math for the rest of your life.

How can you be certain to get rich quickly? You might work 100 hours a week for a big bank, but you might get laid off or can't handle the pressure...

As you like teaching mathematics, why not aim to be a professor with a fall back position of being a school teacher? It doesn't have to be "your career", just what you do to make money. Just do the teaching and forget about doing all the rubbish extras that career grubbers do... (volunteer sports teaching, teacher meetings, career development...)

School teachers get long holidays and mathematics teachers don't have to spend much time marking (no long essays to read!) So by not doing "extras" you'll have lots of free time to *do* mathematics - you could even work part-time or do supply teaching to cut down the teaching hours...

Read Isaacson's biography of Einstein - he found time to develop his theories while school teaching. William Golding did most of the writing that got him the Nobel prize while school teaching. As writing, or doing mathematics, requires a lot of time alone, teaching is great complement - after a few hours teaching kids you will be happy to spend a few hours alone, quietly working!

1. What types of jobs are available for someone who loves pure mathematics?

There are a variety of jobs available for someone with a strong passion for pure mathematics. Some common examples include research positions in universities or government agencies, data analyst or data scientist roles in industries such as finance or technology, and teaching positions at various levels.

2. Do I need a specific degree to pursue a career in pure mathematics?

While a degree in mathematics is typically required for most jobs in pure mathematics, other degrees such as physics, engineering, or computer science can also be relevant and provide a strong foundation in mathematical skills.

3. How much can I expect to earn in a mathematics-related job?

The salary for a job in pure mathematics can vary widely depending on the specific role and industry. However, on average, individuals with a degree in pure mathematics can expect to earn a higher salary compared to those with other degrees.

4. Are there any job opportunities for someone who loves pure mathematics outside of academia?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for those who love pure mathematics outside of academia. As mentioned, industries such as finance, technology, and data analysis often have a high demand for individuals with strong mathematical skills.

5. What skills or qualities are important for a career in pure mathematics?

In addition to having a strong passion for mathematics, individuals pursuing a career in pure mathematics should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.