GRE Physics Syllabus: Depth & Lab Methods

In summary, the conversation revolved around studying for the GRE exam and the depth required for certain topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation, noninertial reference frames, and mathematical methods. The suggestion was made to use a general GRE review book and to practice with past exams. For the specialized topics, it was recommended to refer to the GRE Physics syllabus and to take past exams available online. The conversation also touched on the need for understanding lab methods and a book recommendation was requested for this topic.
collectedsoul
Hi

I'm studying for the GRE exam and time is not on my side. So I wanted some idea of how much depth I need to go into in some of the more complex areas. The syllabus mentions the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation, noninertial reference frames and mathematical methods like Fourier series, boundary value problems, etc. and there's a section on Specialized topics. How much depth do I have to go into for each of these topics and what book should I follow for the Specialized Topics?

Also I have no experience in Lab methods and there's a whole section on it in the syllabus. Is there any book or any other source where I can get an idea of these methods?

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the GRE Physics syllabus: http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would advice getting a general GRE review book. They are pretty good at listing what you need to know and also have practice tests in the back that will be a good sample of what is on the GRE.

Are you aware of the four past exams available? You can find them http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/ugs_gre.php" for instance, at the bottom of the page. These are the single best study tool for the physics GRE. I suggest you take one immediately and see how you score and then go over it to see where you are lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone through a lot of those questions and I didn't find any that test Lagrangian or Hamiltonian in much detail or any of the other topics I mentioned.

Apart from that I could really use some help in understanding the lab methods. Is there any book I could refer to for them?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand your concerns about preparing for the GRE Physics exam. The syllabus can be overwhelming, but with proper planning and preparation, you can succeed.

In terms of depth, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and principles in each topic. This means being able to apply them to solve problems and explain phenomena. It is not necessary to have an in-depth knowledge of every single equation or formula, but you should have a strong grasp of the underlying concepts.

For the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation, it is important to understand the basics and be able to apply them to problems. You should also be familiar with the different types of noninertial reference frames and how to analyze them. For the mathematical methods, it is important to have a good understanding of Fourier series and boundary value problems, as they are commonly used in physics.

As for the specialized topics, it is difficult to recommend one specific book as it depends on your level of understanding and personal preferences. I would suggest doing some research and finding a textbook that covers the topics in a way that resonates with you. You can also consult with your professors or peers for recommendations.

Regarding lab methods, it is important to have hands-on experience in the laboratory. If you do not have any prior experience, I would suggest finding a lab manual or textbook that covers the basics of lab techniques and procedures. You can also reach out to your university's physics department for resources or ask if they offer any lab workshops or training sessions.

In summary, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and principles in each topic and be able to apply them to solve problems. Also, don't hesitate to seek help from your professors or peers if you have any questions or need clarification on any topic. Good luck with your exam preparation!

I understand the time constraints and pressure of studying for a standardized exam like the GRE. In terms of depth, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and equations in each of the areas mentioned. While you may not need to go into extreme detail, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles and be able to apply them to various problems. I would recommend using a comprehensive textbook such as "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin for a thorough review of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation, noninertial reference frames, and mathematical methods. For the specialized topics, it would be beneficial to consult with your professors or peers who have experience in those areas or to use a specialized textbook that covers those topics in depth.

As for lab methods, it is important to have a basic understanding of experimental design, data analysis, and error analysis. I would recommend using a textbook such as "Experimental Physics" by C.J. Adkins or "Laboratory Techniques in Physics" by J.S. Townsend for a comprehensive overview of lab methods. Additionally, practicing and performing experiments in a lab setting can greatly enhance your understanding and preparation for this section of the exam.

In summary, while it is important to cover all the topics listed in the GRE Physics syllabus, focus on having a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and equations rather than trying to go into extreme depth in each topic. Consult with your professors or peers for recommendations on textbooks and utilize lab resources to gain hands-on experience with lab methods. Best of luck on your exam!

What is the GRE Physics syllabus?

The GRE Physics syllabus is a standardized curriculum that outlines the topics and content covered on the GRE Physics subject test. It includes both depth and laboratory methods, as well as other core physics concepts and principles.

How is the GRE Physics syllabus structured?

The GRE Physics syllabus is divided into three main sections: Classical Mechanics and Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Physics, and Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics. Each section covers specific topics and subtopics within the broader subject area.

What is meant by "depth" in the GRE Physics syllabus?

In the GRE Physics syllabus, depth refers to the level of understanding and mastery required for each topic. This includes a deeper understanding of fundamental principles, as well as the ability to apply them to more complex problems and scenarios.

What is included in the "lab methods" section of the GRE Physics syllabus?

The lab methods section of the GRE Physics syllabus covers experimental design, data analysis, and scientific reasoning skills. It also includes knowledge of common laboratory equipment and techniques, as well as understanding of the scientific method and ethics in research.

How can I prepare for the depth and lab methods sections of the GRE Physics subject test?

To prepare for the depth and lab methods sections of the GRE Physics subject test, it is important to review and understand the core concepts in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, atomic physics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is also beneficial to practice with sample questions and familiarize yourself with laboratory equipment and techniques.