Solving a First Order Linear ODE System with a Constraint

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of differential equations with the constraint that A + B + C = 1. The initial equations are first order linear and can be solved using the exponential of matrices method. However, the constraint is unnecessary and the conversation ends with the realization that it was based on a misunderstanding of the problem.
mykat
Hello all,
I don't have much experience with ODEs.

I have a simple system, which I believe is first order linear, similar to the following:

dA/dt = 2A + 3B - C

dB/dt = A + 2B - C

dC/dt = -2A + 5B - 2C

Now I would like to include the constraint that A + B + C = 1. How do I do this mathematically?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello mykat! welcome to pf! :smile:
mykat said:
Now I would like to include the constraint that A + B + C = 1. How do I do this mathematically?

dA/dt + dB/dt + dC/dt = 0 :wink:

Or, just write C=1-A-B and insert it in the first two equations to obtain:
dA/dt=3A+2B-1
dB/dt=2A+3B-1

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the input, I had thought to use a similar method but I wasn't sure if it was applicable.

Unfortunately, I have 7 equations and 7 variables, and as I am working with matlab, I need to have them each in the form similar to dA/dt = 3A + 4B...

Is there a more general analytical approach, rather than algebraically working out all of the equations by hand?

Exponentials of matrices, so if you write in your example [itex]\mathbf{X}=(A,B,C)^{T}[/itex], the, you can write your equations in the form:
[tex]
\frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt}=\mathbf{J}\mathbf{X}
[/tex]
From here you can diagonalise your J and then solve it very easily. Can can be automatically done in matlab.

Last edited:
Exponentials of matrices, so if you write in your example X=(A,B,C)T, the, you can write your equations in the form:
dXdt=JX

From here you can diagonalise your J and then solve it very easily. Can can be automatically done in matlab.

By T do you mean transpose? If so, I initially had the matrices in that form. After that I wanted to add the A + B + C = 1 condition, without working out and modifying each line by hand. Is there a way to do this?

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood you.

T does mean transpose. As for the A+B+C=1 condition, it's only 7 equations, or do you mean to increase it later?

Only 7 equations.

Then it's not that bad then, once you've done that little hardship then you can apply my method as a quick way of solving the system.

As it turns out, the constraint was completely unnecessary. The time I wasted on this problem yesterday reflects my poor understanding of differential equations.

I am actually working with a Markov model, where the initial conditions dictate that state 1 has probability = 1 and all others are zero. Based on the nature of differential equations, probability is conserved when the system is modeled correctly.

Initially I had made a small error in the model, which gave me strange results and the false idea that I had to include a constraint. This was a great learning experience. I only wish the class I took on diff eq 2 years ago were this useful to me.

Thanks for the help anyway.

So you can solve the system without any problems now?

Sure. Solving it was never the issue, it was including the unity condition, which as it happens is not necessary.

1. What is a first order linear ODE system?

A first order linear ODE system is a set of differential equations that can be written in the form of n first order equations, where n is the number of variables. These equations are linear, meaning that the dependent variables and their derivatives appear in linear combinations.

2. How do you solve a first order linear ODE system?

To solve a first order linear ODE system, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the dependent variables and their derivatives, and then using integration techniques to find the solutions.

3. What is a constraint in a first order linear ODE system?

A constraint in a first order linear ODE system is an additional equation or condition that must be satisfied by the solutions. This constraint can be used to eliminate one of the variables in the system, making it easier to solve.

4. Can a first order linear ODE system have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order linear ODE system can have multiple solutions. In fact, a general first order linear ODE system with n variables has n independent solutions. This means that there are infinitely many possible solutions to the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving a first order linear ODE system with a constraint?

Solving a first order linear ODE system with a constraint has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model chemical reactions, analyze electrical circuits, and predict population growth. It is also commonly used in optimization problems to find the best solution given certain constraints.