Using a magnet near audio cable

In summary, Apple manage it very well with their recent power book / mac book (?) mains connector. A very smart design which just pulls off harmlessly when stressed too much. It would be particularly useful for a smart phone / ipod for which a normal jack is very unsuitable and vulnerable (for a clumsy sod like me, anyway).
mbrand
I was wondering if there was a way of having a magnet near an audio cable without having any interferance maybe by using a sheild.

My idea was to have a magnet to replace the 3.5mm audio jack in a headphone cable and port so that it would magnetically attach.

Is this possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think a magnet will interfere?

I need to do some testing but I think due to the sound waves, the magnet will interrupt them when placed nearby which messes up the audio or diminishes the audio quality

mbrand said:
I was wondering if there was a way of having a magnet near an audio cable without having any interferance maybe by using a sheild.

My idea was to have a magnet to replace the 3.5mm audio jack in a headphone cable and port so that it would magnetically attach.

Is this possible?

mbrand said:
I need to do some testing but I think due to the sound waves, the magnet will interrupt them when placed nearby which messes up the audio or diminishes the audio quality

It's not the proximity of the magnet to the cable that could be an issue, it's the proximity of the connector magnet to the speaker magnets and voice coils in the headphones.

If you put another permanent magnet near the permanent magnet and voice coil in the speakers in the headphones, the extra magnetic field could have several bad effects on the operation of the voice coil.

But, if you are using this connector magnet to hold the cable to the headphones, you would make the magnet in a horseshoe shape (or similar), so that when it attaches to the ferrous metal piece on the headphones, its magnetic path is closed, so that none of its magnetic field leaks out to get into the voice coil assembly.

BTW, if you hold the cable on the headphones with just a magnet, how are you planning on making the electrical connections?

berkeman said:
BTW, if you hold the cable on the headphones with just a magnet, how are you planning on making the electrical connections?

Apple manage it very well with their recent power book / mac book (?) mains connector. A very smart design which just pulls off harmlessly when stressed too much. It would be particularly useful for a smart phone / ipod for which a normal jack is very unsuitable and vulnerable (for a clumsy sod like me, anyway).

1. How does placing a magnet near an audio cable affect the sound quality?

Placing a magnet near an audio cable can cause interference with the electrical signals traveling through the cable, resulting in a decrease in sound quality. This is because the magnetic field created by the magnet can disrupt the flow of electrons in the cable, causing distortion or noise in the audio signal.

2. Can using a magnet near an audio cable damage the cable?

Yes, using a magnet near an audio cable can potentially damage the cable. The magnetic field can create an electrical current in the cable, which can cause it to overheat and potentially melt or short circuit. This can lead to permanent damage to the cable and affect its ability to transmit audio signals.

3. Is there a specific distance that a magnet should be kept from an audio cable?

It is recommended to keep a magnet at least 6 inches away from an audio cable to avoid any interference. However, the strength of the magnet and the type of cable being used can also impact the distance at which it can affect the audio signal. It is best to keep the magnet as far away as possible to minimize any potential interference.

4. Can using a magnet near an audio cable affect other electronic devices?

Yes, a magnet placed near an audio cable can also affect other electronic devices, especially those that use magnetic storage, such as hard drives or floppy disks. The magnetic field can disrupt the data stored on these devices, potentially causing data loss or corruption.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a magnet near an audio cable?

When using a magnet near an audio cable, it is important to handle the magnet with care and avoid placing it too close to the cable. It is also recommended to avoid using strong magnets near audio cables, as they can cause more interference. If possible, it is best to keep magnets away from audio cables altogether to ensure optimal sound quality.