Which Homomorphisms are Injective and Surjective between Z plus and Z plus?

• Thread starter sleventh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the possible homomorphisms between the group of integers under addition are of the form \tau(x) = nx, where n is an integer. The range of the homomorphism is determined by \tau(1), and there are only a few that are surjective. Not all homomorphisms are injective.
sleventh
I am wondering what are the possible homomorphisms
[itex]\tau[/itex] : [itex]Z[/itex][itex]\overline{+}[/itex] -> [itex]Z[/itex][itex]\overline{+}[/itex]

From this it should be possible to determine which is injective, surjective, and which are isomorphic.

Homomorphisms between Z plus to Z plus will all be of the form [itex]\tau[/itex](x) = nx
since [itex]\tau[/itex](x) = [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{1}[/itex] + [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{2}[/itex] + ... + [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{x}[/itex]

since we have a homomorphism and x is one summed x times.

all are injective

now I am not sure how to tell which are surjective

Physics news on Phys.org
sleventh said:
I am wondering what are the possible homomorphisms
[itex]\tau[/itex] : [itex]Z[/itex][itex]\overline{+}[/itex] -> [itex]Z[/itex][itex]\overline{+}[/itex]

From this it should be possible to determine which is injective, surjective, and which are isomorphic.

Homomorphisms between Z plus to Z plus will all be of the form [itex]\tau[/itex](x) = nx
since [itex]\tau[/itex](x) = [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{1}[/itex] + [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{2}[/itex] + ... + [itex]\tau[/itex](1)[itex]\underline{x}[/itex]

since we have a homomorphism and x is one summed x times.

all are injective

now I am not sure how to tell which are surjective

What kind of algebraic structure and under what operation(s) you think "Z plus" (the natural numbers, I presume?) is for you to talk about "homomorphisms"? Perhaps a monoid?
Tonio

DonAntonio said:
What kind of algebraic structure and under what operation(s) you think "Z plus" (the natural numbers, I presume?) is for you to talk about "homomorphisms"? Perhaps a monoid?
Tonio

I'm guessing he means the group ##(\mathbb{Z},+)##, the group of integers under addition.

sleventh, you're right that each homomorphism can be written ##\tau_n(x) = nx## for an integer n. (Since ##\mathbb{Z}## is generated by 1, everything is determined by ##\tau_n(1)##.) Can you write out the range of the homomorphism for each n? There shouldn't be very many that are surjective.

Also, not all are injective. I can think of one homomorphism (a boring one, admittedly) that isn't.

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical system. In other words, it maps elements from one system to another in a way that maintains the relationships between the elements.

2. What are the properties of a homomorphism?

The properties of a homomorphism include:

• Preservation of operations: a homomorphism preserves the operations of the original system.
  • Preservation of identity: the identity element of the original system is mapped to the identity element of the new system.
  • Preservation of inverses: if two elements are inverses in the original system, their images will also be inverses in the new system.
  • Preservation of order: the order of elements is maintained in both systems.
  • Preservation of structure: the relationships between elements are maintained in the new system.

3. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that an isomorphism preserves not only the structure, but also the individual elements of a system. In contrast, a homomorphism only preserves the structure and may map different elements to the same element in the new system.

4. What are the applications of homomorphism?

Homomorphisms have various applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. In abstract algebra, homomorphisms are used to study the structure of algebraic systems. In computer science, they are used for data encryption and compression. In physics, homomorphisms are used to describe the relationship between different physical quantities.

5. Can a homomorphism be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a homomorphism can be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto), making it an isomorphism. This means that not only does it preserve the structure of a system, but it also preserves the individual elements. However, not all homomorphisms are isomorphisms, as they may only preserve the structure and not the individual elements.