What are the Bloch functions for states in valence bands?

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation is about finding Bloch functions for states from both valence bands using the Schrodinger equation in a given form. The solution involves finding the Bloch energies and using the norm of the Bloch functions to determine the coefficients. However, the energy expression is too complicated and the person is looking for a way to simplify the problem.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Schrodinger equation of the problem given at the picture can be written in a form:

[itex](E_1-E)c^a+J(1+e^{i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})c^b=0[/itex],
[itex]J(1+e^{-i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})c^a+(E_2-E)c^b=0[/itex].

Find Bloch functions for the states from both valence bands.

Homework Equations

Picture:

TO5mu.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the Bloch energies by solving the above system for E. That is, I have a non trivial solution if the determinant of the above system is zero. From that I get:

[itex]E_{a,b}(k)=\frac{1}{2}\left [ E_1+E_2\pm\sqrt{(E_1-E_2)^2+16J^2\cos^2\left(\frac{ka}{2}\right)}\right][/itex]

From first equation I have:

[itex]c^a=-\frac{J(1+e^{i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})}{E_1-E}c^b[/itex]

And I will use the fact that the Bloch functions should have the norm:

[itex]|c^a|^2+|c^b|^2=1[/itex].

From that I should get the coefficients [itex]c^a[/itex] and [itex]c^b[/itex].

But the problem is that my energy expression is too complicated. If I put it in, and try to determine the coefficients I get this giant mess :\

Is there some kind of assumption that I failed to see, that will help me simplify this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So no one has any idea? :\

1. What are Bloch functions?

Bloch functions are a type of wave function used to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and have the form of a plane wave multiplied by a periodic function.

2. How are Bloch functions used in materials science?

Bloch functions are used to understand the electronic properties of materials, such as their band structure and conductivity. They also play a crucial role in predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions and in designing new materials with desired properties.

3. How are Bloch functions found?

Bloch functions can be found using mathematical techniques such as the Bloch theorem, which states that the wave function of a crystal can be written as a linear combination of Bloch functions. These functions can also be solved numerically using computer simulations.

4. What factors affect the shape of Bloch functions?

The shape of Bloch functions is determined by the crystal structure, the energy level of the electron, and any external factors such as impurities or defects in the crystal lattice. Changes in these factors can lead to variations in the shape of Bloch functions and ultimately affect the electronic properties of the material.

5. Are Bloch functions only applicable to electrons in crystals?

No, Bloch functions can also be used to describe the behavior of other particles, such as photons, in periodic systems. They are a fundamental concept in the study of condensed matter physics and have applications in a wide range of fields, including materials science, chemistry, and engineering.