Solving Equation Ʃ(ai^x -b)^2 = C

• Thread starter Mikca10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving a sum and powers, and finding x from the given equation. It is mentioned that the equation is not a quadratic and may not have an analytical solution. Suggestions are made for solving it numerically.
Mikca10
Hi,

I want to solve the following equation by x:

Ʃ(ai^x -b)^2 = C ,
where Ʃ is over all i, i = 1:N, and ^ means "to the power of"

How to find x from here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikca10 said:
Hi,

I want to solve the following equation by x:

Ʃ(ai^x -b)^2 = C ,
where Ʃ is over all i, i = 1:N, and ^ means "to the power of"

How to find x from here?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? Is it from schoolwork?

Try expanding the quadratic that's in the sum. Then you should ultimately be able to turn it into one quadratic equation.

alexfloo said:
Try expanding the quadratic that's in the sum.

It isn't a quadratic. The equation is [itex]\sum(a_i^x -b)^2 = C[/itex] , not [itex]\sum(a_ix -b)^2 = C[/itex]

Ah my mistake. Thanks a lot.

it is not the homework, it's more like a part of a research problem.. my algebra class was long time ago.

Anyone has a clue?

If you want an analytical solution for the general case, I'd say (pretty confidently) that it just can't be done. If you have specific values for the a_i, then I'd try it numerically.

1. What is the purpose of solving an equation in the form Ʃ(ai^x -b)^2 = C?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation and makes it true. This can help in understanding the behavior and relationships between the variables involved in the equation.

2. How can I solve this equation?

This equation can be solved by using various mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphical methods. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

3. What are the key steps in solving this equation?

The key steps in solving this equation include identifying the variables, rearranging the equation to isolate the variable on one side, applying mathematical operations to both sides of the equation to solve for the variable, and checking the solution for accuracy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this equation include incorrectly identifying the variables, making errors in rearranging the equation, and not checking the solution for accuracy. It is also important to use the correct mathematical operations and follow the order of operations.

5. How can solving this equation be useful in real life applications?

Solving this equation can have various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in predicting and analyzing the behavior and relationships between variables in different systems and processes. It can also be used to optimize and solve problems involving multiple variables.