Qual Problem: When do Matrices Commute?

In summary, to show that AB=BA, we can consider (A-I)(B-I), where I is the nxn identity matrix. By writing A+B-AB=0 and factoring out A or B, we can see that A(I-B)+B=0 or B(I-A)+A=0. Subtracting I from both sides of the first equation, we get A(I-B)-(I-B)=-I, which simplifies to (I-A)(I-B)=I. This shows that AB=BA, given A+B=AB. Additionally, two matrices commute if and only if they are simultaneously diagonalizable. However, this only applies if the matrices are diagonalizable to begin with.
tornado28
I'm preparing for a qualifying exam and this problem came up on a previous qual:

Let A and B be nxn matrices. Show that if A + B = AB then AB=BA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider (A-I)(B-I), where I is the nxn identity matrix.

Thanks morphism!

(A-I)(B-I) = AB-A-B+I = AB-AB+I=I. Therefore B-I is the inverse of A-I so we have that I=(B-I)(A-I) = BA-A-B+I = BA-AB+I. Thus BA-AB = 0 as needed.

How did you know to write it that way? Also, do you know any good general conditions related to matrices which commute? What is necessary for AB=BA? What (other than A+B=AB) is sufficient for AB=BA?

Last edited:
I wrote it that way after fidgeting around with A+B=AB for a while. If you rewrite this as A+B-AB=0 then you might try to factor out A or B to get A(I-B)+B=0 or B(I-A)+A=0. The symmetry inspired me to subtract I from both sides of the first equation to get A(I-B)+B-I=-I <=> A(I-B)-(I-B)=-I <=> (I-A)(I-B)=I.

As for your other questions, I can't think of anything useful off the top of my head.

Thanks. I found another thread with information about when matrices commute. Apparently two matrices commute iff they're simultaneously diagonalizable.

tornado28 said:
Thanks. I found another thread with information about when matrices commute. Apparently two matrices commute iff they're simultaneously diagonalizable.
That's only true if the two matrices are diagonalizable to begin with! :)

1. What is a commutative matrix?

A commutative matrix is a matrix that satisfies the commutative property, which states that the order of matrix multiplication does not affect the result. In other words, if matrices A and B are commutative, then A*B = B*A.

2. How do you know if two matrices commute?

You can determine if two matrices commute by multiplying them in both orders and comparing the results. If the results are the same, then the matrices commute. Another way is to check if the matrices have the same eigenvectors and eigenvalues, as commutative matrices share the same eigendecomposition.

3. What is the significance of matrices commuting?

The commutativity of matrices is important in linear algebra as it simplifies calculations and makes certain operations, such as diagonalization, easier. It also has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

4. Can non-square matrices commute?

Yes, non-square matrices can commute. However, the commutative property only applies to square matrices, so non-square matrices must have the same dimensions in order to commute.

5. What happens if matrices do not commute?

If matrices do not commute, then the order of multiplication matters and the result will be different depending on the order. This can make calculations more complex and can also affect the interpretation of the results in certain applications.