Discover the Perfect Font for Your Calculus Queries

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
In summary: I kept avoiding Latex, because learning it would have taken longer for me than just liberally using parentheses to write an equation on one line (we still had clackety typewriters when I was a student, and I still can't get used to doing math on a computer instead of with pencil and paper).If you click on the 'New Reply' button which appears at the top of the page you will find a more advanced input box.That tutorial is clear enough that I might be successful if I need it here, enough so to at least try.Thanks Redbelly!
bobsmith76
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3742133&postcount=4

How do you find the font, so that you can make a post like the one above.

I've posted this in calculus and beyond because it concerns writing so that one can ask questions about calculus in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
That thread has become pretty much outdated since it was posted 8 years ago, especially after the LaTeX upgrade of last spring. A more up-to-date tutorial can be found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

That is MUCH more helpful than the old thread. Perhaps it's time to give the old thread the deep six. I kept avoiding Latex, because learning it would have taken longer for me than just liberally using parentheses to write an equation on one line (we still had clackety typewriters when I was a student, and I still can't get used to doing math on a computer instead of with pencil and paper). That tutorial is clear enough that I might be successful if I need it here, enough so to at least try.

Edited in accord with Redbelly's post#6

Thanks Redbelly

If you click on the 'New Reply' button which appears at the top of the page you will find a more advanced input box.

To the right is a list of common symbols you can insert with a click including an integral sign and some greek letters.
In the toolbar icon section there are two icons labelled X2 and X2 which give superscript (makes nice powers) and subscript.
You could do all of the post mentioned with these.

Don't simply type into the quick reply box at the bottom.

go well

Last edited:
Studiot said:
If you cclick on the 'Reply to Thread' button which appears at the top of the page you will find a more advanced input box.
I presume you mean the "NEW REPLY" button. And two other ways to get to the Advanced Editor are to click on the "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of any post in the thread, or the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply message box at the bottom of the thread.
Moonbear said:
That is MUCH more helpful than the old thread. Perhaps it's time to give the old thread the deep six.
The Mentors are discussing it.

1. How do fonts affect the readability of calculus equations?

Fonts can significantly impact the readability of calculus equations. Certain fonts, such as Times New Roman or Georgia, are better suited for mathematical equations because they have distinct and clear symbols and numbers. It is important to choose a font that is easy to read and does not cause confusion when differentiating between symbols.

2. What is the ideal font size for displaying calculus equations?

The ideal font size for displaying calculus equations is typically between 10 and 12 points. This size is large enough to be easily read, but not too large that it takes up too much space on the page. However, it ultimately depends on the font type and personal preference, so it is important to experiment and find the size that works best for you.

3. Are there any fonts that are specifically designed for mathematical equations?

Yes, there are fonts that are specifically designed for mathematical equations, such as Cambria Math, Latin Modern, and STIX. These fonts have a wide range of symbols and characters that are commonly used in calculus and other mathematical equations. They also have distinct and clear letterforms that make it easier to differentiate between symbols.

4. How can I choose the right font for my specific calculus queries?

The best way to choose the right font for your specific calculus queries is to consider the purpose of your equations. If you are creating a professional or academic document, it is best to stick with a traditional and easy-to-read font. If you are creating a more creative or casual document, you can experiment with different font styles to find one that suits your personal style and is still easily readable.

5. Can I use different fonts for different parts of my calculus equations?

Yes, you can use different fonts for different parts of your calculus equations. It is common to use a serif font for the main body of the equation and a sans-serif font for superscripts, subscripts, and special symbols. This can help to create visual hierarchy and make it easier to read and understand the equation.