Cauchy stress principle & eigenvalues of stress tensor

In summary, The conversation discusses stress tensors and their relationship to eigenvalues and principle stresses. When the three axes are oriented in the principal stress directions, the non-diagonal elements of the stress tensor are 0 and the diagonals are the principal stresses. The Wikipedia link provided offers a more detailed explanation of this relationship.
fpdlskf
First of all, thanks for all the helpful comments to my previous posts.

I'm trying to get a grasp of stress tensors and have been doing some studying.
In the literature I've been looking at, it says something about the eigenvalues of
stress tensors and the principle stresses. This is where I'm stuck.

Is there a relationship btwn the eigenvalues of the stress tensors and the principle stresses?
If so how would I derive that relationship?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the Cauchy stress principle?

The Cauchy stress principle is a fundamental concept in continuum mechanics that describes the relationship between external forces applied to a material and the resulting internal stresses within the material. It states that the stress at a point within a material is equal in magnitude and direction to the force acting on a small area around that point, divided by the area.

2. How is the Cauchy stress tensor defined?

The Cauchy stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress state at a point within a material. It is a second-order tensor that describes the stress at a point in terms of its nine components, which represent the normal and shear stresses acting on three mutually perpendicular planes. These components can be organized into a 3x3 matrix, with each row and column representing a different direction or plane.

3. What are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor?

The eigenvalues of the stress tensor are the principal stresses, which represent the maximum and minimum normal stresses at a point within a material. They are the solutions to the characteristic equation of the stress tensor, and can be used to determine the principal directions of stress, which are the orientations of the planes where the normal stresses are maximum and minimum.

4. How are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor related to material failure?

The eigenvalues of the stress tensor play an important role in determining the failure of materials. When the maximum principal stress exceeds the material's yield strength, it may result in plastic deformation or fracture. Similarly, when the minimum principal stress is negative, it can cause material failure due to tensile stresses. Therefore, it is essential to analyze the eigenvalues of the stress tensor to understand the potential failure modes of a material.

5. How is the Cauchy stress principle related to the conservation of momentum?

The Cauchy stress principle is closely related to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total force applied to a system must be equal to the change in momentum of the system. In the context of a material, this means that the external forces applied to a material must be balanced by the internal stresses within the material. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of materials under various loading conditions.