How to determine bond strength

In summary, determining the strength of a bond based on the elements involved and bond order is not possible. This process requires a difficult and complex understanding of quantum mechanics and even then, it can be easy to obtain incorrect results. There are also other methods, such as classical force fields and group additivity schemes, but they have limitations and may not always provide accurate results. The conversation also mentions the idea of coding an analytical chemistry library for better understanding of chemistry and applying programming knowledge.
TylerH
Is it possible to determine the strength of a bond given the elements involved and the order of the bond? If so, how does one go about doing so?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering trying to code an analytical chemistry library as a way to increase my understanding of chemistry and applying my knowledge of programming.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
TylerH said:
Is it possible to determine the strength of a bond given the elements involved and the order of the bond?
Unfortunately, no. Figuring out the energetics of a molecule is a difficult process, and obtaining any kind of estimates reliable in a certain domain normally requires quantum mechanics of some sort (from simple semi-empirical Hamiltonians like AM1/PM3/DFTB/RM1 over density functional theory (DFT) to wave function methods). And even then it is very easy to get completely wrong results unless you know very well what you are doing. Some systems (e.g., most molecules containing 3d transition metal centers) are notoriously difficult to describe correctly, and getting reasonable results for them is an very active area of research.

That being said, there are also so called "classical force fields" (say, MM2, UFF) and group additivity schemes which have applications for molecular modeling or for estimating the energetics of compounds. But again, those things have tightly defined domains of applicability and even in those they may give bogus results.

Wow, that is some intense math. Thanks for the very complete response. I don't think I'll be able to write a program to do the quantum chem part.

1. How is bond strength defined?

Bond strength is a measure of the attraction between atoms in a molecule or between atoms in different molecules. It represents the amount of energy required to break a bond.

2. What factors influence bond strength?

Bond strength is influenced by several factors, such as the types of atoms involved, the distance between them, and the presence of any intermolecular forces.

3. How can bond strength be experimentally determined?

Bond strength can be determined through various experimental techniques, including spectroscopy, calorimetry, and tensile testing. These methods involve measuring the energy required to break the bond or the force needed to separate the bonded atoms.

4. Is bond strength the same as bond length?

No, bond strength and bond length are two different properties of a chemical bond. While bond strength refers to the energy required to break the bond, bond length is the distance between the bonded atoms.

5. Can bond strength be predicted?

Yes, theoretical calculations can be used to predict the bond strength between atoms in a molecule. These calculations take into account factors such as the types of atoms, the bond length, and the presence of any intermolecular forces.