What Career Paths Are Available for Physics Majors Outside Academia?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's preference for Physics over Electrical Engineering and the limited job opportunities for those with higher degrees in Physics. The individual expresses that Physics is best suited for those pursuing a career in academia or for those with a strong interest in the subject. They also mention that many graduates with advanced degrees in Physics end up working in fields such as finance, insurance, or management consulting. The individual advises against switching from Electrical Engineering to Physics for future job prospects.
Vectorspace17
I'm currently studying Electrical Engineering, but I like Physics a lot more. The only reason I didn't initially major in Physics was that Engineering was much more employable. This may not be a great question, but what opportunities are available to someone who has a masters degree or higher in physics (besides working for a university)? I know physicists work for national laboratories, but I can't imagine there are too many jobs available. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://careers.physicstoday.org/jobs/ - a lot of faculty jobs, but also plenty of research or R&D jobs.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

I wouldn't bother with physics unless you want to go to grad school. Even then... I got two physics degrees but could not get a career job after graduation.

Physics is a degree that is best suited towards people who want to take the professor road or people who want to learn physics. Otherwise it doesn't have much to offer IMO.

In my experience, people who get advanced degrees (masters/phd) in physics end up working in finance, insurance, management consulting etc. If you get lucky, you might be able to transition to a traditional scientific R&D job, but I don't know very many people from my phd class that managed to land one- there are too many physicists chasing too few jobs.

Its not to say you end up unemployed, but you probably won't get that science/engineering job. If your preferences are physics work > ee work > finance/management consulting/programming, you'd be silly to switch away from ee.

One caveat here is that a "job working in a financial company" may not necessarily be a "financial job." For example, in a bank, you have lots of people with electrical engineering degrees, and they are doing more or less the same sort of work that they would be doing with a EE degree at a non-bank.

Similarly, I work for a financial firm, but I'm doing more or less the same type of work that I did in graduate school (i.e. crunching PDE's and babysitting supercomputers.)

A lot of this depends on what exactly you like about physics. You may end up working in a bank whatever you do, but the question then is whether you'll be doing ee-type work in a bank or physics-type work in a bank.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in Physics?

With a degree in Physics, you can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as research, engineering, technology, education, and finance. Some common job titles include physicist, research scientist, data analyst, software engineer, and financial analyst.

2. Is a graduate degree necessary to find a job in Physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more job opportunities and lead to higher salaries, it is not always necessary. Many entry-level positions in Physics only require a bachelor's degree, and some employers may prioritize relevant work experience and skills over advanced degrees.

3. What skills are important for a career in Physics?

Some important skills for a career in Physics include problem-solving, critical thinking, mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. Technical skills such as coding, data analysis, and experimental design are also highly valued in the field.

4. What industries can I work in with a background in Physics?

Physics graduates can work in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, and finance. Many industries rely on the principles of Physics for research, development, and problem-solving, making this field versatile and in-demand.

5. Are there job opportunities for Physics graduates outside of academia?

While academia is a common career path for Physics graduates, there are also plenty of job opportunities in other sectors. Many companies, government agencies, and research institutions employ physicists for their expertise in data analysis, problem-solving, and innovation. Additionally, physics graduates can also pursue careers in fields such as science writing, patent law, and science policy.