What kind of qualitifcations do you need to teach physics?

• Physics
  • Thread starter Abidal Sala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, in order to become a professor of physics at a university, one typically needs to have a Ph.D. degree, although it is not a requirement for all professors. To obtain a Ph.D., students must pass qualifying exams and complete original research in a specific branch of physics. The hiring criteria for professors may vary, with some schools looking for expertise in a particular field while others may consider a diverse range of physics backgrounds.
Abidal Sala
I mean teach physics at universities.. I know you need a Ph.D and MS of course, but there are a lot of branches in physics, do you have to study something particular or simply anything that has to do with physics?
Also what is the difference between someone who has a Ph.D (a Doctor) and a professor? I'm not sure if it's the same thing..

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
A professor is someone who teaches at a university. A Ph.D. is an advanced degree in a subject.

The vast majority of professors in the US have Ph.D.'s, but not all. Also, there are plenty of Ph.D.'s who work in industry and so are not professors. (An MS is totally optional. In fact the usual path in the US these days is BS -> Ph.D.)

To get a Ph.D., students usually have to pass a Qualifying Exam (or exams) that covers all branches of physics, but then write a thesis describing their original research on a particular, specialized branch of physics. The results in the thesis are then presented orally to an examining committee that decides if the thesis is acceptable.

The format and content of the qualifiers vary from university to university.

Some schools are looking for a particular field of physics when they hire a professor, others will take any field of physics. Larger programs are more likely to look for professors who do research in a particular field (astro, particle, education, etc), while smaller schools are more likely to hire based on your teaching experience and whether or not you can support your research program without a lot of funding.

1. What degree do I need to teach physics?

To teach physics at the high school level, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or astronomy. Some states may also require you to have a teaching certificate or license. To teach at the college level, you will usually need a master's or doctoral degree in physics.

2. Do I need to have a teaching background to teach physics?

While having a background in teaching can be helpful, it is not always necessary to teach physics. Many schools look for candidates with a strong background in physics or a related field, as well as a passion for teaching and the ability to effectively communicate complex concepts.

3. Are there any specific qualifications or certifications for teaching physics?

In addition to a degree in physics or a related field, most states require physics teachers to obtain a teaching certificate or license. This process typically involves completing a teacher preparation program and passing a series of exams to demonstrate subject knowledge and teaching skills.

4. Can I teach physics with a degree in another science or math subject?

While a degree in physics is the most common qualification for teaching physics, some schools may also consider candidates with degrees in related fields such as engineering, astronomy, or mathematics. However, you may need to take additional coursework or exams to demonstrate your proficiency in physics.

5. Is prior teaching experience necessary for teaching physics?

Prior teaching experience is not always required to teach physics, but it can be helpful. If you do not have any teaching experience, you may need to complete a teacher preparation program or participate in a mentoring program to develop your teaching skills before starting your career as a physics teacher.