What happens to an empty can in space?

In summary, there would be a very small amount of whatever was in the can when you sealed it up in space
bigdog7696
This may have been asked before but I am new here and my kid came to me and asked me this and I don't have an answer so the question is you take an empty can unsealed (nondescript container) into space expose the container to the vacuum of space seal the container and bring it back to earth. Whats in the container?

THANKS
Andrew

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is the wrong sub-forum for this question, but space is not a perfect vaccuum. Even in the emptiest parts of the universe between galaxies you'd still find an atom or so for a couple cubic meters. So the answer to your question depends very much on where you did this experiment.

However, if you want to idealize things and ask what is in the can if you did it in perfect vacuum then the answer is nothing.

There would be practically nothing in the container. There may be some tiny amounts of hydrogen which are present in space but for most intents and purposes the can is a vacuum. When you bring the can back, it would be crushed due to atmospheric pressure acting on the outside of the can.

Assuming the can was strong enough not to be crushed you would have almost nothing. The "almost" allows for a stray atom or few that may have been in the area when you closed your can, vacuum energy (which by the way would also exist if the can were full of air, water, whatever), a few atoms of the cans material which would evaporate from the interior surface, and dark matter (which could probably care less if the can existed or not, it will come and go as it pleases through any can wall you care to construct.)

Actually, atoms evaporate from the metal can, so you might measure a trace of the atoms from the element the can was made of.

1. What is "Ye Ole Empty Can in Space"?

"Ye Ole Empty Can in Space" refers to a hypothetical scenario where a tin can, typically used for storing food or drinks, is floating in outer space with no contents inside.

2. How did the can get into space?

The can could have been launched into space as part of a scientific experiment or as a piece of debris from a rocket launch. It could also have been left behind by an astronaut during a spacewalk.

3. Will the can eventually fall back down to Earth?

It depends on the orbit of the can. If it is in a low Earth orbit, it will eventually slow down due to atmospheric drag and fall back to Earth. However, if it is in a higher orbit, it may remain in space for a longer period of time.

4. Is there any danger posed by the can in space?

The can itself is not dangerous as it is just a simple object floating in space. However, if it collides with a spacecraft or satellite, it could cause damage. Space debris, including objects like "Ye Ole Empty Can in Space," is a growing concern for space missions.

5. Can the can be retrieved or removed from space?

It is possible for the can to be retrieved by a spacecraft or removed by a specialized mission. However, this would require precise planning and coordination as well as the use of advanced technology. It may not be a priority as the can does not pose a significant threat to space activities.