How Does Increasing Compression Ratio Affect CO2 Emission in Otto Cycle Engines?

In summary, the question asks for an estimate of the change in volume of carbon dioxide if the variable 'r' is increased by 10%. Using the ideal gas law and assuming that the number of moles of carbon dioxide produced is directly proportional to the amount of fuel used, the estimated change in volume of carbon dioxide is 30 million cars x 0.1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide.
alex_b93

Homework Statement

Estimate the change in volume of carbon dioxide if 'r' is increased from 10 to 11 (10% increase).

Assume 30 million cars, all use 1m^3 of fuel each year

Homework Equations

Efficiency of an Otto Cycle
η=1-r^(1-gamma)

The Attempt at a Solution

Original η=1-10^(1-gamma)
Final η=1-11^(1-gamma)

I then looked up a typical value of gamma (1.3), and worked out the efficiency of each

Original = 0.4988
Final = 0.5129

Not sure if this is right, as you weren't given the value of gamma.

Then I'm not entirely sure how to work out how much CO2 is produced from each m^3 of fuel, is it just multiplying by the efficiency?
Or have I gone completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

I appreciate your attempt at solving this problem. However, I believe there may be a misunderstanding of the question. The question is asking for an estimate of the change in volume of carbon dioxide, not the change in efficiency.

To estimate the change in volume of carbon dioxide, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT. In this case, we can assume that the number of moles of carbon dioxide produced is directly proportional to the amount of fuel used. Therefore, if we increase the amount of fuel used by 10%, we can estimate that the amount of carbon dioxide produced will also increase by 10%.

Using this assumption, we can estimate the change in volume of carbon dioxide as follows:

Initial volume of carbon dioxide = 30 million cars x 1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide
Final volume of carbon dioxide = 30 million cars x 1.1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide

The change in volume of carbon dioxide can be calculated as:

Change in volume = Final volume - Initial volume
= (30 million cars x 1.1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide) - (30 million cars x 1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide)
= 30 million cars x 0.1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide

Therefore, the estimated change in volume of carbon dioxide is 30 million cars x 0.1 m^3 of fuel x n moles of carbon dioxide.

I hope this helps clarify the question and provides a solution to your problem. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

1. What is the Otto cycle?

The Otto cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. It consists of four processes: intake, compression, power, and exhaust. It is named after its inventor, Nikolaus Otto.

2. How does the efficiency of the Otto cycle compare to other cycles?

The Otto cycle is more efficient than the Carnot cycle, which is the theoretical maximum efficiency for a heat engine. However, it is less efficient than the Diesel cycle, which is used in diesel engines.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of the Otto cycle?

The efficiency of the Otto cycle is affected by the compression ratio, air-fuel ratio, and the heat transfer and friction within the engine. Higher compression ratios and leaner air-fuel mixtures can increase efficiency, while heat transfer and friction decrease efficiency.

4. How can the efficiency of the Otto cycle be improved?

The efficiency of the Otto cycle can be improved by increasing the compression ratio, using a leaner air-fuel mixture, and reducing heat transfer and friction within the engine. Other techniques such as turbocharging and variable valve timing can also improve efficiency.

5. Can the efficiency of the Otto cycle reach 100%?

No, the efficiency of the Otto cycle cannot reach 100%. This is because the cycle relies on converting heat energy into mechanical work, and some energy will always be lost as heat due to the second law of thermodynamics. The theoretical maximum efficiency for the Otto cycle is around 60%.