Find Spring constant given distance stretched by placing rock on spring

In summary, the conversation discusses two different approaches to finding the spring constant for a stone resting on a compressed spring. The first approach uses net force equations while the second approach uses conservation of energy. The first approach yields the correct answer while the second approach gives an incorrect result due to the assumption that the rock is released from rest. The correct approach is to use F=kx, taking into account the external force applied by the hand when lowering the rock to the equilibrium position.
SuspendedFour

Homework Statement

A 8.00 kg stone lies at rest on a spring. The spring is compressed 10.0 cm (.1 m) by the stone. What is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

F = -kx
E = (1/2)kx^2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution provided uses a net force equation balancing Hooke's Law with mg:
-kx = mg
k = mg/x = 784 N/m

When I first tried this problem, I approached it using conservation of energy:
U0 + E0 = Uf + Ef
Ef = U0 + E0 - Uf = U0 + 0 - 0 = U0 = 7.84 J
Where t=0 is the rock at the top of the uncompressed spring and t=f is the rock in equillibrium on the compressed spring.
k = 2Ef/x^2 = 1568 N/m

Using my approach, I am off by a factor of 2. Where is my misunderstanding here? I understand the solution involving net force, but shouldn't the conservation of energy work out too?

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the stone is balanced by the restoring force of the spring when it is compressed all the way.

SuspendedFour said:

Homework Statement

A 8.00 kg stone lies at rest on a spring. The spring is compressed 10.0 cm (.1 m) by the stone. What is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

F = -kx
E = (1/2)kx^2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution provided uses a net force equation balancing Hooke's Law with mg:
-kx = mg
k = mg/x = 784 N/m

When I first tried this problem, I approached it using conservation of energy:
U0 + E0 = Uf + Ef
Ef = U0 + E0 - Uf = U0 + 0 - 0 = U0 = 7.84 J
Where t=0 is the rock at the top of the uncompressed spring and t=f is the rock in equillibrium on the compressed spring.
k = 2Ef/x^2 = 1568 N/m

Using my approach, I am off by a factor of 2. Where is my misunderstanding here? I understand the solution involving net force, but shouldn't the conservation of energy work out too?
When you used the energy approach with no kinetic energy in the initial anf final position and just the conservative weight and spring forces acting, you assumed that the rock atop the spring was released from rest. When you do it this way, the spring stretches beyond the equilibrium and to a maximum deflection until it momentarily stops, at which point it starts back up and continues to oscillate back and above and below the equilibrium position. This gives you an incorrect result because you assumed that the compression of 0.1 m occurs at the bottom of the motion, not at the equilibrium position. For the problem at hand, the rock is not released, rather, it is slowly lowered by an external variable force applied by your hand up to the equilibrium position where you then let go. You did not account for this force or the work it does in your equation.

Thank you PhanthomJay. Clear as daylight.

One can just use F=kx in this case.

1. What is the formula for finding the spring constant?

The formula for finding the spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the distance stretched by the spring.

2. How is the distance stretched by placing a rock on a spring measured?

The distance stretched by placing a rock on a spring can be measured by subtracting the length of the uncompressed spring from the length of the spring when the rock is placed on it. This difference is the distance stretched.

3. What units are used for the spring constant?

The units for the spring constant depend on the units used for force and distance. The most common units are newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in).

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the temperature, and the amount of weight placed on the spring.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the spring constant?

The accuracy of the calculation of the spring constant depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken for the applied force and the distance stretched. It is important to use precise measuring tools and techniques to ensure an accurate calculation.