Physics major: which classes should I take for my two related electives?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in theoretical physics and their dilemma between taking math or computer science electives. They have taken MATLAB and calculus and believe linear algebra is a must. They have options for 2000 level or higher classes in related fields and math. However, they realize they may only have one course option due to their interest and skill in math.
mc0210
Its premature, but I definitely feel more aligned with theoretical physics over experimental. With that said, would math or computer science electives serve me better? I can choose 2 courses. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What other classes will/have you have taken? And what are the options?

Ive only taken MATLAB in the cse branch and id have taken calc 1-4. I think linear algebra is a must, but what do i know. Opinions?

mc0210 said:
Ive only taken MATLAB in the cse branch and id have taken calc 1-4. I think linear algebra is a must, but what do i know. Opinions?
What are your options for electives though? Yes, linear algebra is a must for one.

My options are any 2000 level or higher classes in a related field such as chem, cse, materials, etc. And math. I am probably best off just doing another math

mc0210 said:
My options are any 2000 level or higher classes in a related field such as chem, cse, materials, etc. And math. I am probably best off just doing another math
I have no idea what a 2000 level course is. Nor do I know what your universities 2000 level courses are.

mc0210 said:

This is really not helpful. Naming course titles, not numbers, woukd be more helpful.

Right, my bad guys. I gave a poor response because I forgot about linear algebra, so really I only have one course >_< and since I am better at math and I may minor in it, its basically not a question for me. Bad question!

1. What are the required classes for a Physics major?

The required classes for a Physics major typically include introductory courses in physics, calculus, and chemistry. As students progress through their major, they will also take more advanced courses in topics such as classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.

2. Can I choose any two related electives for my major?

Most universities have a list of approved electives for Physics majors. These electives are typically related to the field of physics, such as astronomy, optics, or materials science. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that the electives you choose will count towards your degree requirements.

3. How do I decide which electives to take?

The best way to decide which electives to take is to consider your interests and career goals. If you are interested in a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics or biophysics, you may want to choose electives that align with that interest. You can also speak with professors or upperclassmen in the physics department for recommendations.

4. Can I take electives outside of the physics department?

Yes, you may be able to take electives outside of the physics department as long as they are approved by your academic advisor and count towards your degree requirements. Some students choose to take electives in related fields such as math, computer science, or engineering to supplement their physics knowledge.

5. Are there any recommended electives for students planning to pursue graduate studies in physics?

If you are planning to pursue graduate studies in physics, it is recommended to take electives that will strengthen your understanding in the core areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Additionally, courses in math and computer science can be beneficial for graduate studies in physics. It is important to consult with your academic advisor for specific recommendations based on your career goals.