Zombies Real or Not? | South Asia News

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses how a Harvard botanist is investigating mystic potions, voodoo rites, and the making of zombies. It is unknown if the bugs produce a neurotoxin similar to the blowfish extract believed to be a component of the Haitian 'zombie drug'. It is also stated that the page adress for the BBC does not match the site.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last Updated: Friday, 1 April, 2005, 17:00 GMT 18:00 UK

A little late for April Fools day.

Zygotic Embryo said:
Makes one wonder if the bugs produce a neurotoxin similar to the blowfish extract believed to be a component of the Haitian 'zombie drug'. In that case, the victims aren't truly dead in the first place. It takes a close examination by a medical expert to tell that they're alive, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, this is the real explanation for the Zombie folklore.

The Secrets of Haiti’s Living Dead
A Harvard botanist investigates mystic potions, voodoo rites, and the making of zombies
http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:78yo4OTq18UJ:www.dushkin.com/text-data/articles/2564/body.pdf+Zombie+drug+slave&hl=en

http://www.dushkin.com/text-data/articles/2564/body.pdf

Danger said:
Makes one wonder if the bugs produce a neurotoxin similar to the blowfish extract believed to be a component of the Haitian 'zombie drug'. In that case, the victims aren't truly dead in the first place. It takes a close examination by a medical expert to tell that they're alive, though.

That's not even a BBC page. Its a hoax. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
That's not even a BBC page. Its a hoax. :biggrin:
How on Earth can you tell? With the exception of not having the site name in the top left corner, which I took to be because it wasn't a front page, I can't see any difference between it and the real BBC things that I've looked at before. (And don't say that it's because of the article itself; I've seen weirder stuff in real papers.) Keep in mind that I've only had Internet since the end of February, and haven't really gone anywhere but PF. What gives it away as a fake? :confused:
Also, I don't have time to read the links right now. Things like that take a long time because of my eyesight and various distractions. I do, however, have a copy of 'The Serpent and the Rainbow', which is based more or less on Wade Davis' experiences.

Danger said:
How on Earth can you tell? With the exception of not having the site name in the top left corner, which I took to be because it wasn't a front page, I can't see any difference between it and the real BBC things that I've looked at before. (And don't say that it's because of the article itself; I've seen weirder stuff in real papers.) Keep in mind that I've only had Internet since the end of February, and haven't really gone anywhere but PF. What gives it away as a fake? :confused:
Also, I don't have time to read the links right now. Things like that take a long time because of my eyesight and various distractions. I do, however, have a copy of 'The Serpent and the Rainbow', which is based more or less on Wade Davis' experiences.

most fake news sites like that just have an ip instead of a real domain name. if its bbc then it will have the real bbc in the domain name like www.bbc.co.uk or whatever

Danger said:
What gives it away as a fake?
This is the page adress for the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/
If the page adress (URL) doesn't match it's not from the BBC site.
-----edit-----
Damn... beaten to the punch.

Kakarot said:
most fake news sites like that just have an ip instead of a real domain name

TheStatutoryApe said:
If the page adress (URL) doesn't match it's not from the BBC site.
Thanks both. It'll come in handy in future. That sucker sure looked real, and all of the links went to the real place. It's a jungle out there.

Remember this one?
http://homepage.mac.com/nikkienikks/iblog/C294808266/E910814554/Media/cnn.html

Mk said:
Remember this one?
http://homepage.mac.com/nikkienikks/iblog/C294808266/E910814554/Media/cnn.html
Of course; that's what prompted us to start the clinic. Since I'd never seen the real CNN site, and was led there by a known prankster, it was obviously a fake. :uhh:

He can be sued for illegally using the layout of the BBC page.I'd say it's copyrighted.

Daniel.

1. Are zombies real or just a myth?

Zombies are not real. They are a fictional creature that originated from Haitian folklore and has been popularized in movies, TV shows, and books.

2. What is the scientific explanation for zombies?

There is no scientific explanation for zombies. The idea of reanimated corpses with a craving for human flesh goes against all known laws of nature and biology.

3. Can a virus or disease turn someone into a zombie?

No, there is no virus or disease that can turn someone into a zombie. While there are viruses and diseases that affect the brain and behavior, they do not cause people to become reanimated corpses with a desire to eat human flesh.

4. Is it possible for a zombie outbreak to occur?

No, a zombie outbreak is not possible. As mentioned before, zombies are not real, and even if they were, the likelihood of an outbreak is highly improbable. The idea of a virus or disease causing a zombie outbreak is also not scientifically possible.

5. Are there any real-life cases of zombies?

No, there are no documented cases of real-life zombies. There have been instances of people exhibiting zombie-like behavior due to mental illness or drug use, but these cases are not the same as the fictional zombies portrayed in media.