Project Euler 12: Highly divisible triangular number

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the first triangle number with over five hundred divisors and the approach of using sequences to find patterns in the divisors. However, the speaker has been unable to find any further patterns and asks for guidance in this approach. They have also used the knowledge that the nth triangle number is equal to n(n+1)/2 to prove a point in their analysis.
Nick O
After running into the dilemma of having nothing to do a little while ago, I decided to try working on a Project Euler problem with a mathematical approach. Not being a mathematician, I soon found myself in a rut.

The sequence of triangle numbers is generated by adding the natural numbers. So the 7th triangle number would be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28. The first ten terms would be:

1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, 45, 55, ...

Let us list the factors of the first seven triangle numbers:

1: 1
3: 1,3
6: 1,2,3,6
10: 1,2,5,10
15: 1,3,5,15
21: 1,3,7,21
28: 1,2,4,7,14,28

We can see that 28 is the first triangle number to have over five divisors.

What is the value of the first triangle number to have over five hundred divisors?

Now, what I have so far is this:

1. Let T(n) be the nth Triangle Number, n > 0.
  2. Define f(n) = n for all odd n.
  3. Define f(n) = n+1 for all even n.
  4. Define g(n) = floor([itex]\frac{n}{2}[/itex])+1 for all odd n.
  5. Define g(n) = [itex]\frac{n}{2}[/itex] for all even n.
  6. I have proven by induction that f(n) and g(n) are ALWAYS divisors of T(n).

I have therefore found two persistent sequences in the divisors of the Triangle Numbers. Naturally, all of the divisors of g(n) and f(n) are also divisors of T(n). If both g(n) and f(n) are less than sqrt(T(n)), then we can readily conclude that there are at least twice as many divisors of T(n) as there are of g(n) and f(n).

It was my hope that by analyzing these two sequences, I could find an underlying metasequence that governs the divisors of the triangle numbers, eventually finding a small set of sequences that completely describe the divisors of T(n) when n is below some upper bound. Instead, I have found myself completely unable to detect any further patterns.

At first I toyed with the idea that f(n) and g(n) were the only governing sequences for n > 1, but then I realized that T(8) is a counterexample, because the divisor 6 cannot be derived from those two sequences alone.

So, my question is this: Is there any promise in this approach? If so, could someone give me a gentle nudge in the right direction? I can easily solve this in a short time using a program and prime factorization, but I would love to solve this entirely on paper, if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that the ##n##th triangle number is equal to [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Yes, I used that to prove point 6. Besides suddenly seeing an easier way to prove the relation with f(n) than the proof that I used, I can't think of anything else to do with it.

1. What is Project Euler 12: Highly divisible triangular number?

Project Euler 12 is a mathematical problem from the Project Euler website that challenges users to find the first triangular number with over 500 divisors.

2. How do you find the first triangular number with over 500 divisors?

To find the first triangular number with over 500 divisors, you can use a brute force approach by generating triangular numbers and checking the number of divisors each one has. Alternatively, you can use the formula for finding the number of divisors of a triangular number: (a+1)(b+1)(c+1), where a, b, and c are the exponents of the prime factors of the triangular number.

3. What is a triangular number?

A triangular number is a number that can be represented as a triangle with a certain number of dots on each side. The first few triangular numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, etc.

4. How many divisors does the first triangular number with over 500 divisors have?

The first triangular number with over 500 divisors is 12375, and it has 576 divisors.

5. Why is the first triangular number with over 500 divisors significant?

The first triangular number with over 500 divisors is significant because it is the first number to meet the challenge set by Project Euler 12 and it demonstrates the power of prime factorization and its relationship to the number of divisors a number has.