Looking for a syllabus for Tiplers Modern Physics

In summary, Tipler's Modern Physics covers topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is considered an intermediate level course and requires a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Prerequisites may include courses in calculus. The course is typically taught through a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, laboratory experiments, and group projects. Recommended textbooks to supplement the syllabus include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John R. Taylor and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen T. Thornton and Andrew Rex.
relativitydude
I'm going to be self-studying Tipler's modern physics over the summer. I just got the third edition for $7.71 off eBay and it's in pristine condition :)

I am trying to find a detailed syllabus instead of me reading every page and doing every problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found some syllabi but they only give assigned problems. I am having a hard time doing a self-study. It's hard to remain on task with no guidance and so much material.

Any suggestions from those who do this often?

Hello! Congratulations on finding a great deal on Tipler's Modern Physics textbook. It's always exciting to save money while still getting a high-quality resource. As for your request for a syllabus, I recommend checking with your school or university's physics department to see if they have a syllabus for the course that uses Tipler's textbook. They may be able to provide you with a detailed outline of the topics covered and the corresponding chapters in the book. If you are self-studying, you can also create your own syllabus by looking at the table of contents in the book and breaking it down into manageable sections to cover over the summer. Additionally, you can search online for study guides or course outlines that may have been created by other students or instructors. Best of luck with your self-study journey!

1. What topics are covered in Tipler's Modern Physics syllabus?

The syllabus for Tipler's Modern Physics typically covers topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It may also include discussions on topics such as astrophysics and cosmology.

2. Is Tipler's Modern Physics suitable for beginners?

Tipler's Modern Physics is typically considered an intermediate level course and may not be suitable for beginners. It assumes a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking Tipler's Modern Physics?

Most universities or institutions will require students to have completed a course in classical mechanics and electromagnetism before taking Tipler's Modern Physics. Some may also require a course in calculus.

4. What is the teaching style of Tipler's Modern Physics?

Tipler's Modern Physics is typically taught through a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, and laboratory experiments. It may also incorporate group projects or presentations.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks to supplement Tipler's Modern Physics syllabus?

Some recommended textbooks that can supplement Tipler's Modern Physics syllabus include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John R. Taylor and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen T. Thornton and Andrew Rex.