Core Material for Long-Run Solenoid Circuits

In summary, this person is building a circuit and they are considering different core materials. The cores will be 5/16" x 1 1/4" wrapped with 22 or 24 ga. magnet wire. The operating frequency will be between 80-160 Hz for long periods of time. There can be between 228-304 turns per coil. The permeability and saturation is different for each core material, and a capacitor will be used in parrallel to the coils to catch the spark. Iron is the best core material, but if efficiency is wanted, other core materials like nickel iron cores or powdered iron cores can be used.
Phaedrus
http://img16.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc76&image=054_doorbell1.jpg

I am building a circuit such as the one above. The only difference is that it will be running for long periods of time. So heat becomes an issue. To make the most efficient and strongest electromagnet I am wondering what I should be looking for in core material. The cores will be 5/16" x 1 1/4" wrapped with 22 or 24 ga. magnet wire. This will be a DC circuit with voltages between 3-8 volts at around 1 amp give or take. Operating frequency will be between 80-160 Hz for long periods of time...like 20 minutes or more. There can be between 228-304 turns per coil...Not sure about this as the permeability and saturation is different for each core material. Also I'm trying to keep the resistance under 1 ohm per coil. If it means anything I will be using a capacitor in parrallel to the coils to catch the spark...usually a 30v 47uf.(incidentally if anyong can explain to me why changing the cap. value has such a drastic effect on the htz it would be greatly appreciated...I mean the cap. must be doing something besides just catching the spark...)

Engineering news on Phys.org
well, I am probably not as experienced as other people on this forum, but ill give my 2 cents

For the core, i think iron would be the best, it has the highest magnetic permeability, so you will get the strongest electromagnet possible, without using too much power in the coils. An ironm bol will work just fine and i find that the ones that are threaded just make winding the wire easier as it will give it some uniformity(not that it matters too much anyways)

As for the capacitor, it will probably be essential in creating the desired frequency of ring because capacitors discharge at constant intervals, so having a cap that will discharge every 120hz for example will cause the dc current moving towards the magnet to pulsate at 120hz, now this could be completely wrong, as i have little experience with capacitors

Iron is what I'm using now. I was wondering if there are better materials or alloys that would lend themselves better to this application...for lowest hysterysis...highest permeability...etc. Thanks for the reply.

i don't know its exact composition, but it is used in the deflection of electrons on the back of a TV tube..
it is a dark , kind of brittle material , which has outstanding magnetic properties.. maybe you could crush it up and form it to the shape that you want with some polyester resin..

that seems a bit overkill just to make an electromagnet(unless u need it to be super powerful with the very least amount of energy), anyways out of all the common materials you can easily get, iron is best

I agree iron is the best overall as far as availability and cost go. But what if I wanted to increase the efficiency of the coil...more efficiency = less voltage=less heat. I've been researching and have come across powdered iron cores...nickel iron cores...etc. Cost is not an issue. What I am looking for is a lead on what would give me the greatest flux density and since this will be turned off and on about 100 times per second I need the least amount of hysteresis...the least amount of magnetic memory...etc.
thanks

1. What is the purpose of using core material in long-run solenoid circuits?

The core material in a solenoid circuit is used to enhance the magnetic field created by the current passing through the coils. It acts as a magnetic conductor, allowing for a stronger and more efficient flow of the magnetic field.

2. What types of core material are commonly used in long-run solenoid circuits?

The most commonly used core materials in long-run solenoid circuits are iron, steel, and ferrite. These materials have high magnetic permeability, meaning they can easily conduct and amplify magnetic fields.

3. How does the choice of core material affect the performance of a solenoid circuit?

The choice of core material can greatly affect the performance of a solenoid circuit. Materials with high permeability, such as ferrite, can greatly enhance the strength of the magnetic field, while materials with low permeability, such as air, can weaken the magnetic field and decrease the efficiency of the circuit.

4. How do I determine the appropriate core material for my solenoid circuit?

The appropriate core material for a solenoid circuit depends on various factors such as the required strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the circuit, and the cost of the material. It is important to carefully consider these factors and choose a material that best suits the specific needs of the circuit.

5. Can the core material be changed after a solenoid circuit has been assembled?

In most cases, the core material cannot be changed after a solenoid circuit has been assembled. This is because the core is an integral part of the circuit and cannot be easily replaced without affecting its performance. It is important to carefully select the appropriate core material before assembling the circuit.