What are some good books for understanding Lie Groups and Group Theory?

In summary, The conversation is about requesting a book recommendation for Lie Groups/Group Theory for a QFT course. The first recommendation is Wu Ki Tung's "Group Theory in Physics," which is accessible for beginners. The second recommendation is H.F. Jones' "Groups, Representations and Physics," and the third is Michael Tinkham's Dover book. However, it is noted that Tinkham's book does not cover Lie groups, and another suggestion is Aitcheson and Hey's "Quantum Field Theory" book.
Norman
I need a book recommendation for Lie Groups/Group Theory. I am taking a QFT course and the first month is a whirlwind intro to Group Theory with an emphasis on Lie Groups. There is no book, but only the professors notes that doesn't give any proofs. His notes simply states a bunch of theorems, then goes on to give only very trivial examples. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any books that are especially good on the subject? They should be accessable to someone who has never seen the material before. Thanks for any help you can give.
Cheers,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Wu Ki Tung, Group Theory in Physics...Best book I have seen on the subject...

http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/0097.html

Dr Transport said:
Wu Ki Tung, Group Theory in Physics...Best book I have seen on the subject...

http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/0097.html

Ok... so my library doesn't have this one. Any other good ones out there. I am trying to get it through inter-library loan, but one never knows.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Cheers,
Ryan

You might try Groups, Representations and Physics, 2nd edition, by H. F. Jones.

Regards,
George

Also Michael Tinkham's Dover book.

juvenal said:
Also Michael Tinkham's Dover book.

Micheal Tinkhams book does not cover Lie groups, it is written for the solid state theorist. Aitcheson ahd Hey's Quantum Field Thoery book covers quite a bit of Lie group theory, I'd suggest it.

1. What genre of book are you looking for?

The genre of book you are looking for will help narrow down recommendations. Some common genres include fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, and biographies.

2. Can you provide any specific details or preferences?

It would be helpful to know if you have any specific preferences such as a favorite author, time period, setting, or theme. This will assist in providing more personalized recommendations.

3. Have you read any similar books that you enjoyed?

If you have read any books in the past that you really enjoyed, mentioning them can help in finding similar books that you may also like.

4. How long of a book are you looking for?

Some readers prefer longer books while others prefer shorter ones. Knowing your preference can help in suggesting books that fit your desired length.

5. Are you looking for a standalone book or part of a series?

Some readers prefer standalone books while others prefer to dive into a series. If you have a preference, it would be helpful to mention it to receive appropriate recommendations.